During the meeting today, my team was wiring the robot and one of the motor controller 29s quickly overheated, started smoking, then eventually caught on fire, melted the plastic case (I thought the fire was going to stop eventually but our coach thought differently and told me to unplug the wire, and as far as right now, he seems to be correct since the fire only grew bigger before I unplugged the wire).
Did this ever occurred to any other team? Or is this an isolated case?
The motor controller 29 is connected to a power expander, along with 3 other motor controller 29s that's connected to other motors. There shouldn't be any issue with the motors / power expander ports since they had been used in competition without failure previously.
After putting a new motor controller 29 on there, everything work fine. There was no overheating, smoke, or fire.
What might cause this incident?
Also, this brings up another question, what action should be taken if a robot started on fire in the duration of a match?
I'll attach the pictures tomorrow.