View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Unhappy Re: VEXpro - Communicating with external software

Well, I'm beginning to think this project was way over my head. I tried getting everything working this weekend and the server software that's suppose to run on the VEXpro kept displaying this error message in the Console window:

ERROR opening V4L interface
: No such file or directory
Child's result=256...awaiting child's termination...
Child's result=256.......starting child
Child's result=256......starting child

I checked the instructions which said in case of trouble:

6. If you don’t see the “waiting for video client” message, your webcam may need different program options. Launch a terminal, cd /opt/usr/bin, and run ./uvcsrvr –h. Look at the help for different options that may be appropriate. Read the README.txt in the watchVideo folder, which will contain the latest suggestions.

I tried this, but all I got was the following in the terminal window:

root@qwerk:/opt/usr/bin# run ./uvcsrvr -m
-sh: run: not found
root@qwerk:/opt/usr/bin# run ./uvcsrvr -h
-sh: run: not found

I re-read the article and the instructions for creating the project and tried quite a few times - creating the project, deleteing it, and re-creating it, but nothing worked. I didn't know if there was a problem using the webcam I bought - a Logitech C210 USB webcam, but the comments on one of the files says that it works with all Logitech UVC compatible webcams.

I don't have any idea what's wrong or how to get it working. I'm sure that there's something that I'm missing or don't understand. I figure the only way to get it working is if someone else tries it and sees what happens or to try contacting the authors of the article. I figured there might be a glitch or two, but I was really hoping that the software would work with out too much trouble.

Any thoughts?

A former VEX Robotics Hobbyist
I miss it everyday!