Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > General Forum

General Forum Open Discussion of the VEX Robotics System that can be answered by anyone. VEX Robotics Engineers will not answer questions posted here; see Official VEX Technical Support below.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
VEX # 1200B

Send a message via Skype™ to Hen Janko
Re: Format of an Engineering Notebook

For ours, we have drawings of our robot being built. We also have descriptions of how its being built and what we did for each day.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
VEX # 323Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse323Z

Thank you all for your help so far. I believe I have a good idea for what I am going to do.

Keep the good information coming
Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM
VEX # 323Z

Go here (http://jesseroboticstechsite.weebly.com/) and you can download the Word Document which has my rough outline for my engineering notebook.

Tell me what you think of it.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
VEX # 1200

Send a message via Skype™ to bgambsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
My team uses a combination of both. We have a engineering notebook (composition bound) for documentation of when our team is together and our design process. We also have a binder for diagrams of our autonomous modes, pneumatics, and wiring. Plus we put our internet discussions, which is over fifty pages in itself, in there. We only use electronic components to show our cads of our robot.
That sounds like a very nice notebook you got there X-Factor. I hope you do very well in worlds.
1200C 2011-2012

2011-2012 World Championship Divisional Excellence Award
Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 PM
VEX # 323Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgambsky View Post
That sounds like a very nice notebook you got there X-Factor. I hope you do very well in worlds.
lol.

Your on the same team

I hope you do well at Worlds
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
VEX # 1200C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot-E Builders View Post
Go here (http://jesseroboticstechsite.weebly.com/) and you can download the Word Document which has my rough outline for my engineering notebook.

Tell me what you think of it.

Thanks!
This would be a great binder, but in my notebook I do everything by date instead of sections. Make sure to go in depth somewhere on your design process such as how you went through the problem solving of this game to design each aspect or system on your bot.

Another thing to add is a "testing" section, that deals with different tests of your robots performance (driving, auto, battery drainage, fps, friction, varies other mathematical measurements)

Also another thing to ponder on is a analysis section, that deals with a varied in size checklist (or something) to evaluate each system. I make a checklist of three options worked well, needs improvement, or incomplete (I did this by tournament so i had some things incomplete and needing improvement) Then I would have my team comment on the systems performance. Find the problems with it and then brainstorm a solution to fix each system.
"Good, better, best/Never let it rest/Until your good is better and your better is best"
"Pride is but a lonely man's dream"

Last edited by X-Factor; 04-04-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
VEX # 323Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
This would be a great binder, but in my notebook I do everything by date instead of sections. Make sure to go in depth somewhere on your design process such as how you went through the problem solving of this game to design each aspect or system on your bot.

Another thing to add is a "testing" section, that deals with different tests of your robots performance (driving, auto, battery drainage, fps, friction, varies other mathematical measurements)

Also another thing to ponder on is a analysis section, that deals with a varied in size checklist (or something) to evaluate each system. I make a checklist of three options worked well, needs improvement, or incomplete (I did this by tournament so i had some things incomplete and needing improvement) Then I would have my team comment on the systems performance. Find the problems with it and then brainstorm a solution to fix each solution.
We would date and sign each entry we make.

I like the testing section. I think I will add that.

I also like the last paragraph. I will implement this (if you don't mind) into the Competitions part of my notebook.

Thank you for this information.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
VEX # 1360

Me and my partner type it on the computer, then print it out the day before the competition.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
VEX # 323Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkVibot0219 View Post
Me and my partner type it on the computer, then print it out the day before the competition.
Do you have any diagrams? I am thinking of typing out the Journal section of my Engineering Notebook, then the rest will be written out by hand + drawings/diagrams.

I am hoping to learn Autodesk Inventor so I can CAD the robot
I would be very grateful if someone could do a 1-1 Autodesk Inventor class over the internet or something. PM me if you would like to. Could be payed

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumdave View Post
If you're not eligible for the Design or Excellence award, should you bring a design notebook anyway?
You should bring anything that will help the judges understand your team. They will only have a few minutes to spend with you. Make the most of it.
Yes.