Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > New VEX Product Ideas

New VEX Product Ideas Tell us about any new products you would like to see. These ideas will be submitted to our product review board for consideration. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM
VEX # 2177

Smile HD Sprockets - Request to offer these parts for purchase

Hello VEX staff.

We use a large number of small sprockets from the Heavy Strength Sprocket and Chain kit. Specifically the 6 tooth and the 12 tooth sprockets. Like the HD gears (part #276-2251) that are sold separate from the kit we are requesting that VEX make the small sprockets available without purchasing a complete kit of sprockets and chain.

Any chance VEX can offer a 6-pack or a 4-pack of small sprockets?

Having looked at many robots this season I do not believe we are alone in needing these small sprockets. At $39.99 for a complete kit, we have purchased some kits this year merely to get 4 additional sprockets.

Thanks for all that you do.

NOTE: As suggested by another member - can this be moved to the VEX NEW PRODUCT IDEAS FORUM PLEASE.
2013 US Nationals tournament Champion (thanks 3919B and 3919D)
2013 World Middle School Engineering Excellence Award Winner

Last edited by piniontwister; 04-09-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: PLEASE MOVE TO VEX NEW PRODUCT IDEAS
Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
VEX # 7581H

Re: HD Sprockets - Request to offer these parts for purchase

We use 6-tooth sprockets a lot on our robots as well, so the larger sprockets just sit in our parts box, waiting...

4/18/13 VRC Worlds- 68th in Science, 3-7-0 (1st 3 matches with a clawbot!)
11/16/13 YAM- Tournament Finalist (thanks 217D and 4540H), Design Award, and Excellence Award Winner
11/23/13 Mo VEX- Tournament Finalists, Excellence Award Winner
3/2/14 MI State Championship- 1st Seed Captain, Semifinalist (WC Qualifiying, thanks teams 7580A and 36), Excellence Award Winner
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM

We run out of these sprockets a lot and can't afford to just buy new kits so we end up just changing our idea around.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Same here, I think it would be a good idea for VEX to reconsider the ratio of small-large sprockets in their kits.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Agreed, it would be awesome if we could buy different size sprockets separately so we wouldn't have to waste money...or we could possibly post a thread for people to buy or trade for necessary parts with other Vex teams
Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 PM
VEX # 4812

That would be a great addition to the vex store. I am always short of small HS sprockets as well.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 PM
VEX # 400X

I agree. They work great for not only powering things, but connecting sensors to chains and as tensioners.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:33 PM

Maybe if we get enough people to comment on this thread, the people at Vex will decide to release a pack of small sprockets...it would honestly save teams a lot of money, and I'm sure if it was released, plenty of people would purchase them.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 AM
VEX # 323Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse323Z

I personally will need a lot of 18t hs sprockets this year. It would be nice if VEX did sell bulk of each type of hs sprockets, and hs gears.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
VEX Robotics

"Bulk packs of single sprockets" is definitely on the list of potential product releases.

We've talked about this in the past. However, we are constantly trying to balance the availability of individual parts with the practicality of carrying that many SKUs from the business standpoint. It does not make sense for us to have a warehouse full of items which no one buys.

Typically, Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) for an item is (3,000 kits) so we try to only order items which we know will sell about this much in a reasonable period of time.

I'm personally not convinced that these individual sprocket kits will justify us carrying them. That said, we may carry them anyway as a service to our customers. (We do that, sometimes. )

One of the difficult parts of this discussion is that every time I ask someone "which size sprocket is the most important for us to carry" I get a different answer. Some people always run out of the small sprockets. Some people always run out of the big sprockets. There appears to be no "favorite" sprocket size.

Thanks all of you for the feedback. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer at this time. It is definitely something we're considering launching.

-John