Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > New VEX Product Ideas

New VEX Product Ideas Tell us about any new products you would like to see. These ideas will be submitted to our product review board for consideration. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chuck_Glick
Re: Polycord

Hrm, seems everyone is forgetting about that hollow black tubing that we all have available to us...

Anyone though about using the pneumatic tubing?

3/8" bend radius; so it would fit around the white spacers nicely. All you have to do is figure out a way to make a loop. (Hollow polycord uses a barbed plug method. Try using your plastic sheet allowance or maybe even some other vex components to make your own plug).

This is something I have been wanting to play with for a while, but haven't had the time to do so. Maybe someone will beat me to it... (please! less work for me )

-Chuck
Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM
VEX # NAR

Send a message via AIM to AndrewRemmers1902 Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewRemmers1902

I might do this for you chuck. As I have been thinking about these for a while. The problem though is that poly cord is a happy medium between the elasticity of surgical tubing and strength of pneumatics tubing. If there is a way do use it I will update. Another problem is getting power to the tube. On a spacer you need to put a set screw inside unless you use some kind of friction plate or clutch- always a possibility.

I'll work on this when I get home.

Time for my last final

- Andrew
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 PM
VEX # 254D

The problem with pneumatic tubing is that it isn't stretchy and does not have a whole lot of friction (more than string, less than latex tubing).

For powering, I would think a roller with mesh (anti-slip mat) or adhesive foam should do the job, provided the rollers are tensioned properly.

I'm not sure how well ratchet gears would work (in one direction only), but I guess you could try that if you really needed more grip (although I doubt it will be practical).
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
VEX # NAR

Send a message via AIM to AndrewRemmers1902 Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewRemmers1902

I'm at work right now waiting for my boss to get back. I have already designed a small prototype using multiple variants of materials as pullies.

Once I get approval for the lathe I will machine them and will build something tonight.

- Andrew