Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > VEX Robot Showcase

VEX Robot Showcase Post photos and descriptions of your robots here. Make suggestions and comments on other's robots.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
VEX # 1492

Re: Gate-hopping 599B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderekcu View Post
We only got this to work on the last day of comp, when we ended up promising a judge that it would work haha. And I don't know why, but I messed up during a match and wasn't able to show it off.

Technology had no wall-bots, had I been in Engineering and had a wallbot opposing team in the last match, it would have been absolutely glorious. But it was what it was.
There was one wallbot, 1471A, which was the second team on the first alliance (5113A, 1471A and 4160B). They actually revealed on the forums. I'd have to say fence hopping may be really amazing from an engineering point of view, but strategically, there are some more surefire ways to beat wallbots (as seen when 2243B, 1492X and 4886A were able to upset that first seeded alliance in the quarterfinals).

2011/2012 Gateway Division Semifinalists x3

2012/2013 Sack Attack Division Champions x2
-1492X Third in the World!
-1492A Fourth in the World!

Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
VEX # 7581H

Good job! I was very tired of seeing NZ Bots at Worlds, but I like your robot a lot!

We had a concept for a fence-hopping design, but we never implemented it because we simply didn't have enough pneumatics. It would have 4 wheel drive, and the wheels (mounted on sliders) would be raised and lowered by small, pneumatic arms.

This picture is not at all proportional to itself.

2014 VEX World Excellence Champions
Science Division 4th Seed Alliance Captains, Quarterfinalists (thanks 359B and 2323G for a great run!)

Last edited by The VEX Raptors; 04-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM

thats pretty awesome
Old 04-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned
VEX # 3233

i really like it, but i believe gate hopping was illegal.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
VEX # AURA

Send a message via Skype™ to Vex Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32plus1 View Post
i really like it, but i believe gate hopping was illegal.
Yes, gatehopping was illegal. Fencehopping (over the black "fence" between the isolation zones) when both gates were up was fine.

It was just difficult, and the opposing alliance could easily prevent you from using it until the last 30s just by leaving their gate down, so most teams didn't try to do it.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
VEX # 1138B

saw that on the practice field that was awesome!!! Nice Job
Old 04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
VEX # 599B

When we built this, we decided that it couldn't detract from the original purpose, of having a high efficiency scorer. We made a little sacrifice in speed, but I still say it does the same job of any other NZ scorer, with a lot of power to just push them away from any goal we need.

And so fence-hopping was a true add-on, we would never use it if we didn't have to. But consider this scenario:

A wall bot and a high efficient scorer, wall bot must be in interaction while the scorer is in iso. Unless they open the gate, the scorer only has 5-7 pieces, something easy to out score. Plus I can also play defense by blocking off the opposing Iso 30.

Basically, hopping would defeat wall-bots, that was my intention. Of course, there are more cunning ways to defeat them. But I also wanted to see if I could actually do it

And our 1:1 ratio would take care of any score only alliance, as we could mess with them by shoving them anywhere we like.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 PM
VEX # 599B

Quote:
Originally Posted by The VEX Raptors View Post
Good job! I was very tired of seeing NZ Bots at Worlds, but I like your robot a lot!

We had a concept for a fence-hopping design, but we never implemented it because we simply didn't have enough pneumatics. It would have 4 wheel drive, and the wheels (mounted on sliders) would be raised and lowered by small, pneumatic arms.

This picture is not at all proportional to itself.
That would be pretty awesome to see, a hopping one or not. The only weird part about that idea is how to get the wheels to remain in contact with the entire drive train, or just run a motor individually to each wheel.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
That would be pretty awesome to see, a hopping one or not. The only weird part about that idea is how to get the wheels to remain in contact with the entire drive train, or just run a motor individually to each wheel.
As seen in the picture, the wheels would be mounted to the same slider as the motor, and the motors would drive the wheels with chains. Each wheel could have its own motor, but you could also leave the middle wheels unpowered and still have at least 2 motor-driven wheel on the ground at any time during the hop.

I wish we could've built this robot, but we're proud of our real Gateway robot.

2014 VEX World Excellence Champions
Science Division 4th Seed Alliance Captains, Quarterfinalists (thanks 359B and 2323G for a great run!)
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks! It was quite the glorious day since we spent 1 week thinking about whether we should do it, and then 2 weeks thinking, this better happen
You should also mention that your team coach (me) kept telling you that it probably couldn't be done!

I'm very impressed. Fantastic job. I just love it when you guys prove me wrong!

- Mr. Van
Coach, Robodox