Go Back   VEX Forum > Official Technical Support > UNOFFICIAL Tech Support - Ask the Community!

UNOFFICIAL Tech Support - Ask the Community! Community Members can provide UNOFFICIAL answers to Tech Support Questions.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Re: Motors on drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by larhal View Post
I have questions regarding motor place on the drivetrain . My school is having a 4 wheel drive train with 4 393 , 2 on each side in high speed mode. Would running the robot for continuous minute burn the motor out ? I had tried touching the motor however they seem fairly warm.

And what wheels are best for drive train ? My school had encounter instances whereby our 393 spoil . Our back wheel was high traction 4" wheel while the front was omni wheel . Omni wheel are generally larger , will this small difference put weight on my other motor causing them to spoil ? Is it best to keep both wheel omni ? I would like your suggestion

Thank you very much ! Your help is much appreciated
Try runing each side as one motor output. So bascily what this means is to tie both the motors and wheels together.. That way the torque is distributed evenly throughout the drive on that particular side. Also runing the same tires all around will help. Runing all Omni will also make a huge difference because the friction from the slight diferences in motor speed will be hard on the motors if there is no give. I.E if you run all omni wheels u will give the extra leway the motors need to realse friiction. And one last thing is to run between 4 and 6 omni wheels on total. This will help with the distrubutuin of weight over the wheels and not all in one spot.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM
VEX # 1039B

Question Re: Motors on drivetrain

What do you think. would 1 393 motor on each side of a 6 wheel drive be enough, or should I go 2 on each side?
Vancouver Island VEX Competition: Create Award
Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
VEX # ----

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1039B View Post
What do you think. would 1 393 motor on each side of a 6 wheel drive be enough, or should I go 2 on each side?
I would do 2.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
VEX # 1039B

Seems more stable that way too. probably don't want a motor to burn out in the middle of a match
Vancouver Island VEX Competition: Create Award
Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 PM
VEX # BNS

Send a message via Skype™ to tabor473

in gateway my team had
2 393s on high torque
and 1 269 on each side geared at 3:2
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 PM
VEX # 1900

Arrow Re: Motors on drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1039B View Post
Seems more stable that way too. probably don't want a motor to burn out in the middle of a match
If you have 2 motors on 1 side of your drive, and one of them burn out, there is a high probability that your second still-working motor will also burn out due to the extra strain of pulling a dead motor along. Provided your robot is average weight (15-25 lbs) a direct driven drive with 2 393 motors on each side on 4" wheels should serve you well in competition.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
VEX # 254D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantech View Post
If you have 2 motors on 1 side of your drive, and one of them burn out, there is a high probability that your second still-working motor will also burn out due to the extra strain of pulling a dead motor along. Provided your robot is average weight (15-25 lbs) a direct driven drive with 2 393 motors on each side on 4" wheels should serve you well in competition.
Or if you really wanted to be cool, you could run the two motors into opposite input shafts of a differential so if you lose a motor you run at half speed but still have the same torque.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM
VEX # 563

What problems might I run into if I used only one 393 on each side of a six wheel drive?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 PM
VEX # PYRS

Depending on the gearing, you may have troubles driving because you don't have enough power on the drive train to move the robot+sacks. If they're geared to high for speed, then there will not be enough torque to move and your motors will stall. The fastest gearing that you can run depends on how many motors you have powering the drive, how much weight is being moved, the wheel size, and the friction from moving parts. Running 2 393's total on the drive might require a lower gearing like 1:1 (again, depending on the weight of the robot, etc.) as opposed to 5:3 speed with 4 393's.
Former member #1107B, Cambie Robotics "Gordovakit"

2012 BC Vex Championships Create Award
2012 Vancouver Island Vex Tournament Driver Skills Champion / Design Award
2011 British Columbia Season Opener Excellence Award / Programming Skills Champion
2011 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2011 VRC World Championships Inspire Award / Quarter-Finalist (Alliance captain, with teams 10D and 40B)
2011 British Columbia Vex Championships Judges Award
2011 Washington Winter VRC Excellence Award
2011 Vancouver Island VRC Excellence Award / Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2010 British Columbia Season Opener Tournament Champion
2010 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Amaze Award
Various other Clean Sweep awards I can't remember