Go Back   VEX Forum > Competitions > VEX Robotics Competition > VRC Sack Attack (2012-2013 VRC Game)

Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 AM
VEX # 3057

Re: "Sack Attack" Ideal Intake(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The VEX Raptors View Post
The most efficient claw-bot, in my mind, would be something like this:
2 393s on the drive
2 393s on the arm or lift
That leaves six motors. With these six motors, a robot could have six independent claws. It could also have many more claws operated by pneumatics. With 6 motors and 4 pneumatic pistons, you've got yourself 10 claws. Plus, you might be able to double up claws on one motor/piston, meaning your robot could be literally bristling with claws.

Such a robot would have to be pretty light, and the driver(s) would have to be very skilled to operate that many claws, but I think it can and will be done.
no offense, but thats sounds a little ridiculous. Using 6-10 claws is just not efficient, as you could come up with a separate mechanism that is much simpler and holds more than that.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 AM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
no offense, but thats sounds a little ridiculous. Using 6-10 claws is just not efficient, as you could come up with a separate mechanism that is much simpler and holds more than that.
I'm not saying that I would want to use this sort of design, but I was pointing out that a claw-bot can indeed hold more than 1-2 sacks at a time.

Plus, wouldn't a many-clawed robot be really fun to watch?

2014 VEX World Excellence Champions
Science Division 4th Seed Alliance Captains, Quarterfinalists (thanks 359B and 2323G for a great run!)
Old 04-28-2012, 01:02 PM
VEX # PYRS

I think we had a similar idea for Round Up, the Octobot with 4 different needle intakes, but we couldn't make it work with 10 motors. The extra 393s and pneumatics make it slightly more feasible.

2 claws is probably the most realistic multi-arm robot design, because any more and it becomes hard to manage/build/power/control. Maybe 4. Not sure if it effectively mitigates the disadvantage of clawbots (their capacity) though. Now, if you had, say 2 efficient processor intakes (whatever that turns out to be this year) on 2 arms, would it be any better to be able to intake and outtake separately?

Additional thought: Yes it is, you could make one arm that reaches up to 30" to descore/score one at a time, and the other one able to dump large numbers of sacks in the troughs.
Former member #1107B, Cambie Robotics "Gordovakit"

2012 BC Vex Championships Create Award
2012 Vancouver Island Vex Tournament Driver Skills Champion / Design Award
2011 British Columbia Season Opener Excellence Award / Programming Skills Champion
2011 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2011 VRC World Championships Inspire Award / Quarter-Finalist (Alliance captain, with teams 10D and 40B)
2011 British Columbia Vex Championships Judges Award
2011 Washington Winter VRC Excellence Award
2011 Vancouver Island VRC Excellence Award / Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2010 British Columbia Season Opener Tournament Champion
2010 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Amaze Award
Various other Clean Sweep awards I can't remember
Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 PM
VEX # 675A

"Roboctopus," not "Octobot" :P

And yes, 2 claws could work. Is it a good idea, though? I (personally) think not.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:39 PM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Generic Name View Post
I think we had a similar idea for Round Up, the Octobot with 4 different needle intakes, but we couldn't make it work with 10 motors. The extra 393s and pneumatics make it slightly more feasible.

2 claws is probably the most realistic multi-arm robot design, because any more and it becomes hard to manage/build/power/control. Maybe 4. Not sure if it effectively mitigates the disadvantage of clawbots (their capacity) though. Now, if you had, say 2 efficient processor intakes (whatever that turns out to be this year) on 2 arms, would it be any better to be able to intake and outtake separately?

Additional thought: Yes it is, you could make one arm that reaches up to 30" to descore/score one at a time, and the other one able to dump large numbers of sacks in the troughs.
I didn't say multi-arm, just multi-claw. You could have multiple claws on one arm. The sacks are all arranged in nice rows for you to pick up.

Science Division 4th Seed Alliance Captains, Quarterfinalists (thanks 359B and 2323G for a great run!)
Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
VEX # 438

There are some interesting intakes in the video posted here. It's a full-length record of the 2008 Bridge Battle finals and several hours long, but the video quality is pretty good.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM
VEX # BNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMechanic View Post
There are some interesting intakes in the video posted here. It's a full-length record of the 2008 Bridge Battle finals and several hours long, but the video quality is pretty good.
How do I stream it like it said in the post?

robert@botsnstuff.com
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 PM
VEX # 2243B

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditofernando View Post
How do I stream it like it said in the post?
Use VLC to stream it. Simply open VLC and copy and paste the .wmv link onto to the streaming/exporting wizard option.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Don't bet that the sacks will stay in nice neat rows.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Science View Post
Don't bet that the sacks will stay in nice neat rows.
Of course not. That would be like saying that the pyramid of objects in Gateway would remain undisturbed for every match. But in the beginning, they are indeed in nice, neat rows.