Go Back   VEX Forum > Competitions > VEX Robotics Competition > VRC Sack Attack (2012-2013 VRC Game)

Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
VEX # 1492

Re: "Sack Attack" Ideal Intake(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The VEX Raptors View Post
Of course not. That would be like saying that the pyramid of objects in Gateway would remain undisturbed for every match. But in the beginning, they are indeed in nice, neat rows.
Right, so the theoretical double efficiency you get with your 2 claws lasts for maybe 20 seconds before the opposing alliance starts messing with you and the sacks on your side. With so many objects this year, even a claw with increased efficiency from the "standard" doesn't seem more efficient than a mass intake/outtake device.

In Gateway, I remember claws had a bit of popularity because their bonus point speed seemed to have potential. Now that we have a game that doesn't reward one object scoring, returns with descoring and has even more objects than Gateway, I don't see claws being extremely popular in competition.

2011/2012 Gateway Division Semifinalists x3

2012/2013 Sack Attack Division Champions x2
-1492X Third in the World!
-1492A Fourth in the World!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
RECF
VEX # RECF

Quote:
Of course not. That would be like saying that the pyramid of objects in Gateway would remain undisturbed for every match. But in the beginning, they are indeed in nice, neat rows.
I wouldn't count on that. Unless the rules require the bean bags to be laid out neatly, I can't see field reset crews being that tidy during a tournament. From what I can see in the rules, the "Sacks (...) start at the designated locations on the field." It doesn't mention orientation or "nice" or "neat." It is possible that the GDC may choose to clarify this using your interpretation, but I wouldn't plan my robot around that until a ruling is made public. Not arguing, just suggesting that the rules may not say what you think they say.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Cool Re: "Sack Attack" Ideal Intake(s)

Overall, I think scoop-basket bots will make a big come back this year.. although it won't be as easy to score as in clean sweep
Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMochi View Post
Right, so the theoretical double efficiency you get with your 2 claws lasts for maybe 20 seconds before the opposing alliance starts messing with you and the sacks on your side. With so many objects this year, even a claw with increased efficiency from the "standard" doesn't seem more efficient than a mass intake/outtake device.

In Gateway, I remember claws had a bit of popularity because their bonus point speed seemed to have potential. Now that we have a game that doesn't reward one object scoring, returns with descoring and has even more objects than Gateway, I don't see claws being extremely popular in competition.
Teams that lack the experience or knowledge to build a sophisticated mass-intake (i.e. the majority of teams in Michigan) will probably lean toward claws because of their ability to pick up sacks easily. Worlds, however, is a different matter, and I agree, mass intakes will probably be more popular there.

2014 VEX World Excellence Champions
Science Division 4th Seed Alliance Captains, Quarterfinalists (thanks 359B and 2323G for a great run!)
Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 AM

Short-paddle and friction tread intakes seem to work okay, although standoffs seem to work better.. I think the best intake is a rigid intake
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
VEX # 254D

Send a message via Skype™ to eliwu26

Thread revival!

How's your guys' robot? Mr. Kahn's seems to be doing well.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Aside from a lift problem, ours is looking good so far. We wish he had some high strength motors for our intake, but it's adequate with regular motors.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
VEX # 1064A

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwu26 View Post
Thread revival!
A gratuitous thread necro, indeed.

VEX #1064A
Nebraska Nerd Herd
Omaha North High Magnet School
Omaha, NE

2014 US National Champions with 400X and 1200
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
VEX # 5119z

Quote:
first driver control move was to drive and smash them all over
5119z.com

Awards:
2 x Energy, 1 x Judges, 4 x Tournament Champions, 1 x Excellence