Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > General Forum

General Forum Open Discussion of the VEX Robotics System that can be answered by anyone. VEX Robotics Engineers will not answer questions posted here; see Official VEX Technical Support below.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM
VEX # OYES

Re: Robotics World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraber View Post
From the description I remember, Multiple mistake were made, the first one was:
1. robots do not have the right colored flags.
That should be a DQ, non-start, or field-failure redo right there.
Hopefully such simple mistakes will not happen later in the season as refs get more experienced.

Re placing the negator on the wrong robot, I thought there was a comment in one of my many Q&A threads about covering the starting tile to prevent matchloads, and one of the options for the team being block was to "place the matchload on the opposing robot". If Karthik really gave that as an option, it would be hard for a ref to know if the placement were intentional (per Q&A) or accidental.
Im pretty sure the answer to that question was that you could place the negator in YOUR OWN robot as long as it was touching the ROBOT that is touching the starting tile.

But yeah, all the teams shouldve had the correct flags in their robot. Technically, the team that puts the negator into the wrong robot should be disqualified, but that would just be mean =P
2013 World Robot Skills Runner Up
2013 World Math Division Champion
2013 World Math Division Amaze Award
2013 NZ National Champion (Thanks 2915A and 2941D)
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 PM
VEX # 2921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemascope View Post
But yeah, all the teams shouldve had the correct flags in their robot. Technically, the team that puts the negator into the wrong robot should be disqualified, but that would just be mean =P
Yeah I really should of checked the flag on our robot before we put it on the field... my bad. i wont do it again, i'd hate to be DQ'd.
George | Free Range Robotics #2921 | http://robotics.org.nz | freerangejij@gmail.com | Follow us on Twitter
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM
VEX # BUFF

So is there going to be a world cup in 2012? If so is it going to be in New Zealand again?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM
VEX # 254D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean Sweep Man View Post
So is there going to be a world cup in 2012? If so is it going to be in New Zealand again?
Well the next Rugby World Cup will be in 2015 in England, so there probably won't be a VEX World Cup in New Zealand, but they may still host a tournament (not sure how many non-New Zealand teams would go however).
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
VEX # AURA

There will be a largeish mid-season qualifying tournament in New Zealand like there was last year, if only because nationals isn't large enough to give out all of NZ's qualification slots. Like last year, Kiwibots will be keen to use that tournament as an opportunity to show the world what New Zealand robotics teams are capable of.

What that tournament will be isn't confirmed yet as far as I know. It won't be another World Cup.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 AM
VEX # 2921

I haven't heard much, but this is what I have read (from the Kiwibot's blog):

Quote:
We also have agreed in principal to host the Asia pacific games in New Zealand in October this year with 120 teams coming to new Zealand to compete with around 40 teams from Australia. This means that we will host the biggest ever robotics competition in the Southern hemisphere. Lots of work but we enjoy work.
So all very exciting (I don't know if anything is confirmed though), but I am confused about the "40 teams from Australia" bit. I could be wrong, but I haven't even heard of any teams in Australia.

~George
George | Free Range Robotics #2921 | http://robotics.org.nz | freerangejij@gmail.com | Follow us on Twitter
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MarkGlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jij View Post
I haven't heard much, but this is what I have read (from the Kiwibot's blog):

So all very exciting (I don't know if anything is confirmed though), but I am confused about the "40 teams from Australia" bit. I could be wrong, but I haven't even heard of any teams in Australia.

~George
Apparently they have been doing vex for years, well that's what I heard
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jij View Post
The competition will be happening, however it's a mixture of different robotics competitions other than VEX so the Australian teams might be competing in a different competition
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
VEX # 8059

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwilson View Post
The competition will be happening, however it's a mixture of different robotics competitions other than VEX so the Australian teams might be competing in a different competition
Really? As in.... Asia Pacific in NZ?
Is it the same Asia Pacific that the Asian teams have been taking part in?
If it is.... then it might be too expensive for most Singapore teams to take part in....

hwilson,
You might be right in this... I remember we were in Sydney for Asia Pacific (for the Clean Sweep game), and the Australian teams were all involved in some lego-lookalike basketball game.

2010_____________________________________________2011
Singapore Vex Championship______________________Vex Robotics World Championship
Tournament Champion______________________________5th Seed in Engineering Division
Programming Challenge-2nd_________________________7th Seed in Math Division
Asia Pacific Vex Robotics Championship___________Singapore Vex Robotics Championship
Winner of Design Award____________________________Tournament Champion
Vex Robotics World Championship_________________Programming Challenge-2nd (10 pt)
Division Semi-Finalist________________________________Design Award Winner
Design Award Winner
Unite Award Winner