Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > General Forum

General Forum Open Discussion of the VEX Robotics System that can be answered by anyone. VEX Robotics Engineers will not answer questions posted here; see Official VEX Technical Support below.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
VEX # BNS

Re: Ideal Wall-Bot Designs (Sack Attack)

Having built 4886c, which is what brought on the term "wallie" using just VEX sliders will not work for this game. I say this because the sliders on my wallbot were unstable past a certain point.

robert@botsnstuff.com
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
VEX # PYRS

Re: Ideal Wall-Bot Designs (Sack Attack)

I think that a defensive bot shouldn't automatically be a wall bot. With the relatively open field layout, trying to block off a portion of the field to prevent scoring does not seem quite as feasible, or at least as easy, as some other possible defensive solutions. It worked for Round Up and Gateway, but it might not be quite as good for Sack Attack.

Defensively, you're trying to prevent them from scoring as much as your alliance can score. Physically blocking off the goals might work, but it just seems really hard. The other option is to make it impossible for them to access any sacks to score with, although there's quite a lot of them all over the field, so it would be pretty hard to do that too.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure that making a purely defensive bot is that viable this year. Defensive actions, yes, but maybe not a robot that is purely designed around preventing opponents from manipulating game objects and moving them to a scored area for their team. Might as well work on the other half of the game (manipulating game objects into your own scoring zones).
Former member #1107B, Cambie Robotics "Gordovakit"

2012 BC Vex Championships Create Award
2012 Vancouver Island Vex Tournament Driver Skills Champion / Design Award
2011 British Columbia Season Opener Excellence Award / Programming Skills Champion
2011 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2011 VRC World Championships Inspire Award / Quarter-Finalist (Alliance captain, with teams 10D and 40B)
2011 British Columbia Vex Championships Judges Award
2011 Washington Winter VRC Excellence Award
2011 Vancouver Island VRC Excellence Award / Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2010 British Columbia Season Opener Tournament Champion
2010 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Amaze Award
Various other Clean Sweep awards I can't remember