Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > General Forum

General Forum Open Discussion of the VEX Robotics System that can be answered by anyone. VEX Robotics Engineers will not answer questions posted here; see Official VEX Technical Support below.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM

Matrix parts come to FTC, VEX with round holes

This thread on Chief Delphi has pictures of the new Matrix parts for the FTC robot. Most of it is things we have now: omni wheels, universal joints, etc. But they get some new metal plates and some interesting corner connectors. Looks like VEX parts with round holes (actually it looks like Meccano parts). Only thing I'd like is the corner connector, it would give some flexibility in making frames.
  • 2011 - Round Up World Championship - Think, Teamwork and Excellence Awards -- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Junior Division & 3 Design Awards
  • 2010 - Mentor of the Year - VEX Clean Sweep World Championship --- VEX Champion, VEX Swept Away at IRI --- PSU Firefight 2nd & 3rd Junior Division
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
VEX # 675B

Re: Matrix parts come to FTC, VEX with round holes

I saw that today when another team member showed it to me. My first reaction: FTC might actually be getting a decently adjustable kit. (a set pitch of holes vs that nasty 8-hole system surrounding the larger insert hole).

But I agree, the corner connection would be useful in certain instances, but keep in mind, VEX parts usually are more useful than the same c-channel with extra length (i.e they have differing end connection options) like FTC's TETRIX kit's are.
  • Tournament Champions at Carrollton Qualifier (2-9-2013)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
VEX # 4542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster View Post
(actually it looks like Meccano parts)
I used to play with Meccano for hours and hours.
I'm liking the look of those corner pieces, and the motor mounts look awesome. I always disliked mounting DC motors on TETRIX parts. Does anyone else take a look at that timing belt and think "CVT"?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
VEX # NAR

Send a message via AIM to AndrewRemmers1902 Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewRemmers1902

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicode View Post
I used to play with Meccano for hours and hours.
I'm liking the look of those corner pieces, and the motor mounts look awesome. I always disliked mounting DC motors on TETRIX parts. Does anyone else take a look at that timing belt and think "CVT"?
Alottt Harder than you think man. You need a special belt...

- Andrew
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
VEX # 4542

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRemmers1902 View Post
Alottt Harder than you think man. You need a special belt...

- Andrew
I know, I know, but the possibility. I understand that this isn't anywhere near the same scale of difficulty, but two years ago I would have scoffed if someone told me that a VEX team would build usable mecanum wheels from VEX legal parts. And looking at the planetary gear transmissions that teams have made, I don't rule a CVT out as a possibility. Plus, there's that sheet of aluminium you're allowed to use in FTC.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM
VEX # NAR

Send a message via AIM to AndrewRemmers1902 Send a message via Skype™ to AndrewRemmers1902

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicode View Post
I know, I know, but the possibility. I understand that this isn't anywhere near the same scale of difficulty, but two years ago I would have scoffed if someone told me that a VEX team would build usable mecanum wheels from VEX legal parts. And looking at the planetary gear transmissions that teams have made, I don't rule a CVT out as a possibility. Plus, there's that sheet of aluminium you're allowed to use in FTC.
The disks aren't hard to make. I could do that easily (even in VEX) But problem is the belt. needs pitches and such that are cruical to the success of the drive itself. But I guess thats a project for later after I make a CVT with less limiting kits.

- Andrew
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 AM
VEX # 2968

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRemmers1902 View Post
You need a special belt...

<10 char>