Go Back   VEX Forum > Competitions > VEX Robotics Competition > VRC Sack Attack (2012-2013 VRC Game)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
VEX # 0000

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux
Re: Using Pneumatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex1622 View Post
Does anyone think that the pneumatics only can lift a bucket all the way to the trough?
It's very possible though using elastic assistance via elastic tubing or rubber bands. Check out the DiscoBots robot from Gateway: https://vimeo.com/40536229 (Look ~0:40 seconds for the pneumatic cylinders raising and lowering their arm)

They used pneumatics to raise and lower their arm, allowing them to have more motors on their drive. How well it actually performed, I'm not sure - but it's definitely not par for the course in VEX, so I think it's pretty cool.
VRC357 Build Blog: http://vrc357.blogspot.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
VEX # 1200

Send a message via Skype™ to bgambsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Being View Post
Sounds perfect. But I was planning to use Pneumatics with a button on the Joysticks. Same procedure? Just look for a pneumatic block? Or is there a something I'm missing?
Your able to use multiple selenoids and buttons on the controller to control as many pneumatic pumps as you want. There is no limit, which can be an advantage AND a disadvantage. The more pumps you use (depending on how many you plan to use) you will add more weight, including the tanks. So use them wisely, but it sounds you're only buying one kit so that won't be a problem. Good luck with them they're the best thing for our robots in the past years
1200C 2011-2012

2011-2012 World Championship Divisional Excellence Award
Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM
VEX # 2587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dognaux View Post
It's very possible though using elastic assistance via elastic tubing or rubber bands. Check out the DiscoBots robot from Gateway: https://vimeo.com/40536229 (Look ~0:40 seconds for the pneumatic cylinders raising and lowering their arm)
Our arm worked very well. We used two double action pistons, one on each arm. We used a massive amount of latex on each arm (20-35 feet??). The arm was tensioned so that it favored the middle of its range of motion.

If I did it again I would use >2 single action pistons to raise the arm up and 1 single regulated to a lower power + gravity to bring it down. This would conserve air.

In our case it was very important to keep the latex fresh.

Wasabi had a very cool multi stage pneumatic arm. Ours passively adapted between the medium and high goals.
FRC 2011: DiscoSlide Film, 118 Parody Lone Star Regional Finalists