Go Back   VEX Forum > Competitions > VEX Robotics Competition

Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
VEX # 1961

Re: Does your team have a field

I have found that the field helps you out a lot. It allows you to scrimmage other robots and test your robot to make sure it works before you get to competition
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
VEX # 7581H

Being a new, one-team club, you will probably only need one trough, about 20 sacks, and 4 foam tiles. This way, you'll be pretty much prepared for conditions at a tournament.

If you want to find other teams to practice/collaborate with, talk to them at your first tournament. For brand-new teams, the first tournament is a learning experience, so I wouldn't worry too much going in. While you're there, see if any of the teams are close to you and want to practice/collaborate with you for the rest of the season. After, you can become a very competitive force at the later tournaments.

4/18/13 VRC Worlds- 68th in Science, 3-7-0 (1st 3 matches with a clawbot!)
11/16/13 YAM- Tournament Finalist (thanks 217D and 4540H), Design Award, and Excellence Award Winner
11/23/13 Mo VEX- Tournament Finalists, Excellence Award Winner
3/2/14 MI State Championship- 1st Seed Captain, Semifinalist (WC Qualifiying, thanks teams 7580A and 36), Excellence Award Winner
Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The VEX Raptors View Post
Being a new, one-team club, you will probably only need one trough, about 20 sacks, and 4 foam tiles. This way, you'll be pretty much prepared for conditions at a tournament.

If you want to find other teams to practice/collaborate with, talk to them at your first tournament. For brand-new teams, the first tournament is a learning experience, so I wouldn't worry too much going in. While you're there, see if any of the teams are close to you and want to practice/collaborate with you for the rest of the season. After, you can become a very competitive force at the later tournaments.
I plan on having the team go to a tournament to just watch and learn, Then hit up our first one. As the coach/mentor I have done robotics teams in FIRST and like how VRC lets you compete at more then one tournament. Seems the amount of work you put in will be more enjoyed with more chances to compete
Team #6000
Techno Geaks
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnlong View Post
I plan on having the team go to a tournament to just watch and learn, Then hit up our first one. As the coach/mentor I have done robotics teams in FIRST and like how VRC lets you compete at more then one tournament. Seems the amount of work you put in will be more enjoyed with more chances to compete
We observed the first tournament this year, but we decided we would've gotten more benefits from being there if we'd actually competed. The early-season tournaments are good for new teams, because the elite teams all have lots of technical problems, too, so almost anything can happen. You can't lose anything from competing with a less-than-perfect robot early in the season.

4/18/13 VRC Worlds- 68th in Science, 3-7-0 (1st 3 matches with a clawbot!)
11/16/13 YAM- Tournament Finalist (thanks 217D and 4540H), Design Award, and Excellence Award Winner
11/23/13 Mo VEX- Tournament Finalists, Excellence Award Winner
3/2/14 MI State Championship- 1st Seed Captain, Semifinalist (WC Qualifiying, thanks teams 7580A and 36), Excellence Award Winner