Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > Technical Discussion

Technical Discussion Open Technical Discussion of the VEX Robotics System.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 AM
VEX # 675B

Re: Programming the planetary (Taiwan) drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli View Post
All,

In 2002, the FRC team I mentor created what we called a crazy chicken transmission using the principle of rotating the ring gear to change the speed ratio. We actually still have a pending patent application for this design as it applies to dc motors and mobile robotics. In any case, as a teaching tool for my students, I went through all of the engineering mathematics that governs this design and published a paper that can be found here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/1361
Upon attempt to import the SolidWorks files into Autodesk Inventor to get a 3D view of the mechanism, I encountered errors. What version of SolidWorks was used to create these models? I am using Inventor Professional 2012. I have an installation of Inventor Professional 2013 installed at home, which I will attempt to use later, but I would like to know what version these models are to know beforehand if it is simply a version issue or simply won't work, period.

Thanks!
  • Tournament Champions at Carrollton Qualifier (2-9-2013)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
President, VEX Robotics

I think it was SW 2002. There should also be STEP files that should work. I will try to bring them in to a newer version of SW and export to Inventor.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM
VEX # 675B

Quote:
I think it was SW 2002. There should also be STEP files that should work. I will try to bring them in to a newer version of SW and export to Inventor.
I actually noticed the STEP file today, which opened fine in Inventor, though there were no physical gear teeth in the file. Do the SW files' gears have textured teeth that would export differently to Inventor? If it doesn't work out, then the STEP file would work just as well.

Thanks!

(sorry for getting a bit off-topic, jpearman)
  • Tournament Champions at Carrollton Qualifier (2-9-2013)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 PM
VEX # 8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenDsDude View Post
I actually noticed the STEP file today, which opened fine in Inventor, though there were no physical gear teeth in the file. Do the SW files' gears have textured teeth that would export differently to Inventor? If it doesn't work out, then the STEP file would work just as well.

Thanks!
For those who just want to view Paul's design, you can open the solidworks assembly in eDrawings, a free 3D viewer for PC, Mac and iPad.

Name:  chicken_drive.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  81.9 KB

Quote:
(sorry for getting a bit off-topic, jpearman)
No problem, it's all very relevant.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
VEX # 8888

Quote:
In 2002, the FRC team I mentor created what we called a crazy chicken transmission using the principle of rotating the ring gear to change the speed ratio. We actually still have a pending patent application for this design as it applies to dc motors and mobile robotics. In any case, as a teaching tool for my students, I went through all of the engineering mathematics that governs this design and published a paper that can be found here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/1361
There's another patent here that would probably be infringing on yours had the patent been granted, same basic principle.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=gwP...page&q&f=false
Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM
President, VEX Robotics

Well since we went public with our design, I can tell you that at least claim 1 of the patent you referenced could be defeated since it has been public knowledge since 2002. That still looks like an application and has not been awarded. I am sure they will run into the same obstacles we did when trying to get the patent approved.