Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > General Forum

General Forum Open Discussion of the VEX Robotics System that can be answered by anyone. VEX Robotics Engineers will not answer questions posted here; see Official VEX Technical Support below.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:46 PM
VEX # 2068

Re: Autonomous Strategies in Sack Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
well they are only 5 additional points, which in the scheme of things isn't exactly that much. Plus, with descoring back, someone could easily just descore your bonus sack and then put it in their trough.
I guess, unless someone comes up with another last minute mass-scoring idea like the stacker from last year
Washington DC Regional - Innovate Award
CSM Robotics Challenge - Innovate Award, Tournament Finalists (along with our H team)
2012 World Championship - Engineering Division Finalist (thanks to teams 4160A and 5997A)

Sack Attack - 2068H
NOVA Vex Competition - Innovate Award, Tournament Champion (Thanks to teams 12A and 12E)

like our facebook page
Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Smile Re: Autonomous Strategies in Sack Attack

My versonally is that Robots which can only score a few at a time will be the best because of a few things:
Descoring
Only about 30 sacks fit in a tough without poking over the top
The sheer improbability of lifting 80+ sacks.

Just my thoughts, but I do not think super "sackers" will work all that well.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM
VEX # PYRS

Well you don't need to be able to carry all of the sacks. The odds of one robot ever being able to collect more than 40 sacks in a relatively even game are pretty low. Given the placement of the sacks, I'd say it'd be near impossible to reach the sacks on the far wall before the other alliance could pick them up, unless they scored them and you descored them into your own bucket.

Besides, unless the other team has: 1) the high goal scored, 2) the autonomous bonus, or 3) more bonus sacks than you, you'd only need to score 53 sacks to automatically win. Now account for the fact that there will almost assuredly be some sacks left unscored on the field, your alliance partner will probably be able to do something, and they might even score the high goal if you can't, you'd probably only ever need to super dump 40 or so sacks to have a good chance of winning against another super dumper or ridiculously good alliance of efficiency bots.

On the other hand, blocking is still an issue.
Former member #1107B, Cambie Robotics "Gordovakit"

2012 BC Vex Championships Create Award
2012 Vancouver Island Vex Tournament Driver Skills Champion / Design Award
2011 British Columbia Season Opener Excellence Award / Programming Skills Champion
2011 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2011 VRC World Championships Inspire Award / Quarter-Finalist (Alliance captain, with teams 10D and 40B)
2011 British Columbia Vex Championships Judges Award
2011 Washington Winter VRC Excellence Award
2011 Vancouver Island VRC Excellence Award / Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2010 British Columbia Season Opener Tournament Champion
2010 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Amaze Award
Various other Clean Sweep awards I can't remember
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Generic Name View Post
Well you don't need to be able to carry all of the sacks. The odds of one robot ever being able to collect more than 40 sacks in a relatively even game are pretty low. Given the placement of the sacks, I'd say it'd be near impossible to reach the sacks on the far wall before the other alliance could pick them up, unless they scored them and you descored them into your own bucket.

Besides, unless the other team has: 1) the high goal scored, 2) the autonomous bonus, or 3) more bonus sacks than you, you'd only need to score 53 sacks to automatically win. Now account for the fact that there will almost assuredly be some sacks left unscored on the field, your alliance partner will probably be able to do something, and they might even score the high goal if you can't, you'd probably only ever need to super dump 40 or so sacks to have a good chance of winning against another super dumper or ridiculously good alliance of efficiency bots.

On the other hand, blocking is still an issue.
You have to be careful about blocking your opponent, though. They might just go back to their tile at the end and score all of their sacks there. That way, they'd get the parking bonus and have a bunch of points on the floor goal.

2014 VEX World Excellence Champions
Science Division 4th Seed Alliance Captains, Quarterfinalists (thanks 359B and 2323G for a great run!)
Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM
VEX # PYRS

40 sacks on the floor is worth 8 sacks in a trough and 4 sacks in the high goal. Taking the time to pick up that many sacks and not being able to score it in a trough hurts a lot, especially when your teammate doesn't have access to those sacks. Heck, it even makes the parking bonus seem worth something in comparison. On the other hand, it is better than nothing.
Former member #1107B, Cambie Robotics "Gordovakit"

2012 BC Vex Championships Create Award
2012 Vancouver Island Vex Tournament Driver Skills Champion / Design Award
2011 British Columbia Season Opener Excellence Award / Programming Skills Champion
2011 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2011 VRC World Championships Inspire Award / Quarter-Finalist (Alliance captain, with teams 10D and 40B)
2011 British Columbia Vex Championships Judges Award
2011 Washington Winter VRC Excellence Award
2011 Vancouver Island VRC Excellence Award / Tournament Champion / Driver Skills Champion
2010 British Columbia Season Opener Tournament Champion
2010 Washington Jump Start Tournament Champion / Amaze Award
Various other Clean Sweep awards I can't remember
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM
VEX # 9378E

Quote:
Originally Posted by The VEX Raptors View Post
You have to be careful about blocking your opponent, though. They might just go back to their tile at the end and score all of their sacks there. That way, they'd get the parking bonus and have a bunch of points on the floor goal.
But even if they were able to get 50 or so sacks scored on their tile and the parking bonus, I would just have to score 12 sacks in the trough to beat it.

And I don't think they would be able to get that many sacks scored there anyway since they would all have to be touching the tile.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 AM
VEX # 1107B

i think its the right time for a thread revival
after yesterdays competition
i think its safe to say that descoring 50 points at a time from the troughs will be fairly easy to do
and the elite teams can get around 20-40 pts in autonomous
so chepo "drop a sack in your square" doesnt really cut it
ive noticed not many teams go across the trough in the early stages of matches
maybe there will be strategic advantages of doing that in auto?

2012 BC championships Create Award 4th seed
2012 Vancouver Island Tournament Driver Skills Champion and Design Award
British Columbia Season Opener 2011 Excellence Award and Programming Skills
Washington Jump start 2011 Tournament Champions and Drivers Skills
VEX Robotics World Championship - Inspire Award and Quarter-Finalist (7th Seed Alliance captain, with teams 10D and 40B)
British Columbia Vex championships - Judges award
Washington VRC Winter Tournament - First Seed and Excellence Award
Vancouver Island VRC tournament - First Seed, Excellence award, Drivers Skill Champions, and Tournament Champions
2010 British Columbia Season Opener - Tournament Champions
2010 Washington jump start - Tournament Champions and Amaze Award

.[/size]
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
VEX # BNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior5 View Post
My versonally is that Robots which can only score a few at a time will be the best because of a few things:
Descoring
Only about 30 sacks fit in a tough without poking over the top
The sheer improbability of lifting 80+ sacks.

Just my thoughts, but I do not think super "sackers" will work all that well.
Same reasoning, different conclusion.

Congratulations, you spent a minute and a half scoring small amounts of sacks in troughs. I'll drive up and descore your troughs, rescoreing every one of your sacks before the end of the match.

The only real strategy against effective descoring is dumping a large amount and protecting it.

By the way, Sack Attack is (or soon will be) all about descoring. If you can't do it well, I suggest you rethink your design.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen View Post
Same reasoning, different conclusion.

Congratulations, you spent a minute and a half scoring small amounts of sacks in troughs. I'll drive up and descore your troughs, rescoreing every one of your sacks before the end of the match.

The only real strategy against effective descoring is dumping a large amount and protecting it.

By the way, Sack Attack is (or soon will be) all about descoring. If you can't do it well, I suggest you rethink your design.
***From the post made 6 months ago***
Trust me, after working with the elements Last June, I had come to the same conclusion. Just forgot I had posted that other opinion in this thread.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 PM
VEX # 4300

with an autonomous period of only 15 seconds and so little bonus at stake yes the autonomous period is not very important. However from the stand point of an educator and a coach it is invaluable. It is the opportunity to teach young students how to program. If the focus was only on the driver control period I wouldn't have the chance to teach. This educational experience is a primary mission for our club/team.

FWIW
Century High School
Sykesville, MD