Go Back   VEX Forum > Community > General Forum

General Forum Open Discussion of the VEX Robotics System that can be answered by anyone. VEX Robotics Engineers will not answer questions posted here; see Official VEX Technical Support below.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM
VEX # 1727

Re: Is the Vex Clawbot a bad move by Vex?

I tend to disagree. The purpose of the clawbot and protobot were mainly to help newly formed VRC teams be able to build a robot and compete with it in order to be able to learn. Towards the beginning of the season, there will be robots that have a unique design or are clawbots or protobots. As the season goes on and gets closer towards Worlds, the amount of unique designs start to diminish because everyone is trying to build the one similar design that seems to be dominant in the game. With teams being able to join whenever during the season, there could be a few clawbots in the tournaments. Banning clawbots from tournaments would just cause new teams to lose the chance of being able to get some experience competing with other teams and learning about how the competition system works.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 AM

Location: Albany, Oregon, USA, North Western Hemisphere, Planet Tera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetal View Post
I tend to disagree. The purpose of the clawbot and protobot were mainly to help newly formed VRC teams be able to build a robot and compete with it in order to be able to learn. Towards the beginning of the season, there will be robots that have a unique design or are clawbots or protobots. As the season goes on and gets closer towards Worlds, the amount of unique designs start to diminish because everyone is trying to build the one similar design that seems to be dominant in the game. With teams being able to join whenever during the season, there could be a few clawbots in the tournaments. Banning clawbots from tournaments would just cause new teams to lose the chance of being able to get some experience competing with other teams and learning about how the competition system works.
My point exactly!!!

How do you make VRC Challenging Enough for the Senior Teams, but Approachable for the Rookie Teams???

Part of Engineering is understand the Problem, from many Angles/Views/Perspectives, not just the Most Obvious or Prevalent View.

I still "catch myself" saying, "That is Dumb. Why didn't they do.....".. Then I feel "dumb", when someone explains, "why" That was Done, That Way.. Hence the Phrase, "Open Mouth, Insert Foot"...

And we can do our part, by answering questions about Vex for the Newbies ( and the Veterans too )...
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 AM
VEX # 1261

Does anyone have a picture/specs of this new claw-bot?

- Sunny G.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 AM
VEX # 2068

I believe the "claw-bot" is simply a protobot with a different manipulator and all the motors being 393s. One of the demonstrations was showing it hang itself off a gateway goal.

Thinking of how Sack Attack is designed:
Floor Goals: Square bots can contribute
Trough Height: Claw-bots can contribute

This makes the game more accessible for new teams, which is never a bad thing.
Manassas VA

VRC 2068 Metal Jackets
FRC 2068 Metal Jackets
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
VEX # 4886A

Send a message via Yahoo to richard60

Claw bot is a hobbyist robot much more than a competion robot it is "cool" and basic good for building practice. personally it is a waste of money except for new teams.

Gateway Season:
Assisted Team 4886D (The Cake)
With building most of their robot.

Cheers and Good luck,

Richard P
Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM

A well built clawbot with drivers that have practiced driving can score well. Prior year games have had elements that the claw could work on. Gateway was the first year that the claw could not get a good grip on the elements.

I've seen teams improve on the claw to make a wider "hand span". I've seen a wider claw pick up three Elevation cubes at a time. So it should be possible to grab more than one element at a time this year.

And who says it needs to be a single claw? That's why there are two people operating the robot. Multi claws on arms on top of the turntables!

All Hail the Clawbot!

I think the claw does give new teams a better chance in this game, I'm very happy to see that it's now part of the basic kit. New teams will have a chance to focus on bases and arms early then work on other designs later on. It's always easier to improve on a design.

Remember you were a rookie at one time!
  • 2011 - Round Up World Championship - Think, Teamwork and Excellence Awards -- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Junior Division & 3 Design Awards
  • 2010 - Mentor of the Year - VEX Clean Sweep World Championship --- VEX Champion, VEX Swept Away at IRI --- PSU Firefight 2nd & 3rd Junior Division
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
VEX # 1028C

Stating that a clawbot should be banned is...maybe a little too much. I can tell you from experience, any 'newbie' team will go straight for a clawbot design. They see that as the quickest to build and the easiest and blah blah blah, when in reality it isn't. What I think is one of the best parts about VEX is the process of trial and error. Constantly having to edit and improve your robot, sometimes having to redesign a new robot completely, is part of this competition. That's part of the challenge! And I don't see how a team can have a clawbot that is "too good." Clawbots can be good, but they take a lot of work to perfect, something that won't happen until later in the season. Now of course a team can have a good clawbot...but it's more fun to have original designs. Maybe someone else has a different opinion, but that's how I feel: Outlawing clawbots won't let people go through trial and error.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 PM
VEX # 1039B

Could someone post a link, or an image or something so I know what your talking about. I think I do but just to clarify, that would be great
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM
VEX # 7581H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1039B View Post
Could someone post a link, or an image or something so I know what your talking about. I think I do but just to clarify, that would be great
The VEX Clawbot is shown in the starting position diagrams in the Sack Attack manual. It's the replacement for the Protobot.

2014 VEX World Excellence Champions
Science Division 4th Seed Alliance Captains, Quarterfinalists (thanks 359B and 2323G for a great run!)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 AM

Location: Albany, Oregon, USA, North Western Hemisphere, Planet Tera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1039B View Post
This should be it:

Name:  Claw_Bot_01.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  69.7 KB