Go Back   VEX Forum > Competitions > VEX Robotics Competition

Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM

2013-2014 VEX World Championships

The location of the next VEX World Championships was announced at the last event, but the date was not. Someone here then went to the Anaheim Convention Center web site, searched by event, and found that next season's World Championships are scheduled to be held on April 24-25, 2014 which is the same dates for the FRC World Championships. Is this correct?

I understand that the usual date (the third week of April) would have conflicted with Good Friday and Easter next year. Is this the reason for the change? I personally prefer that we do not have the VEX World Championships the week before Easter because this would be a heavy burden on families and may even EXCLUDE Christian teams. If the VEX World Championships are to be held on the same days as the FRC World Championships, many teams will have to make some hard decisions or create some continingency plans.

Please let us know the official date of the VEX World Championships as soon as possible so that we may begin plans.

Thank you for your assistance!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM
RECF

Re: 2013-2014 VEX World Championships

Thanks for the post, if you've got that question, I'm sure others do also, so we'll definitely clarify for you.

We did announce the official dates at the end of the World Championship in Anaheim a couple weeks ago. The 2014 World Championship is set for April 23-26, 2014 in Anaheim again. The dates for 2012, 2013 and 2014 were all contracted three years ago.

I've learned more about the convention industry over the last 5 years than I ever wanted to know, and since many are interested in the process and details, I'm happy to share some general information for anyone curious. Here are some of the primary hurdles/obstacles we face when finding a home and date for the World Championship:

- The number of cities that have the facilities to host a VEX or FIRST Championship are certainly limited (many have the incredible amount of square footage space needed for the "pit area", many have have an arena with the needed field/seating capacity - but very few have both, at least "connected" or within suitable walking distance)
- Because of the need for local, regional, state and national tournaments to play out during the season and the need for schools to want 30 days notice (or more) to get approval for travel (plus budget planning and booking airfare and hotel), our event partners and teams (and I'm sure those in FIRST also) have been very vocal with us that they do not want the World Championship to be earlier in the season
- Many schools/teams have also been vocal with us that many would not be able to attend if the World Championship was held any later than April because holding it in May or June would conflict with various tests (state testing, SAT testing, etc...), finals, proms and/or graduations and so on.
- Then on top of those three constraints, we have a holiday weekend (Easter) important to many which actually floats and lands on different weekends each year (most frequently in April). Even for those that don't have an issue with playing that weekend, because it is a big holiday travel weekend, the airfare and hotel costs for all teams attending the event would be much higher
- Then, on top of those 4 constraints, we have one more big one - most or all of the facilities that can host an event the size and magnitude of the VEX World Championship are booked every week in April up to 3, 4 or even 5+ years in advance.

In this specific case, when we booked our dates for 2012, 2013, and 2014, FIRST only had dates held for their Championship in 2012 and 2013, which we made sure to schedule around as we are aware many teams and volunteers are great supporters of both programs. We inquired to see if FIRST dates had been held for 2014 and 2015, but they were not, and April 23-26 was the only week available (not already booked by another group) in Anaheim in 2014 (and this was three years ago). We did not learn the 2014 FIRST dates in St. Louis until they were announced in October, well after our dates were set. FIRST was aware of the dates of the 2014 VEX World Championship, but we're sure they found the same constraints (listed above) and most likely could not avoid the same week even if they wanted to, as it may have been the only week available in St. Louis in 2014. We have offered to switch dates with one of the other events on a different week in Anaheim in 2014 (as we did when we switched our location/dates back in 2011), but they were unable to for various reasons.

So basically, you've got two programs that both hold their events in the same two to three week window, both trying to avoid Easter Weekend and both with a limited number of cities/dates even available. It's actually kind of amazing we've been able to avoid conflicting dates for 6 consecutive years. In spite of our best efforts, and we assume FIRST's, avoiding the same week doesn't appear to have been possible in 2014. We will always be willing, open and eager to discuss World Championship dates with FIRST in advance to avoid these types of conflicts, for the benefit of all participants in the various great programs we both run.

We have been working hard over the past few months to finalize our 2015 and possibly 2016 dates that are currently held. We will announced those dates as soon as the the ink has been put to the contracts to help avoid future conflicts.

The 2013 VEX World Championship was the biggest, best and most successful yet. We know the 2014 VEX World Championship will be even bigger/better and are looking forward to another amazing season!

PS - Team Registration is now up, open and running on Robotevents.com for the 2013-2014 season for ALL THREE programs: VEX IQ Challenge, VEX Robotics Competition and VEX U
Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
VEX # 1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Morrella View Post
We did announce the official dates at the end of the World Championship in Anaheim a couple weeks ago. The 2014 World Championship is set for April 23-26, 2014 in Anaheim again. The dates for 2012, 2013 and 2014 were all contracted three years ago.
Since we're talking about dates and locations, is the date and/or location of the 2014 US Nationals tournament set?
1x Programming Skills Champion
1x Design Award
1x Amaze Award

2012 Support Award World Championship (Science)
2013 Division Finalist US Nationals
2014 Division Finalist US Nationals
2014 Tournament Champion, Excellence Award, Programming Skills Champion Wisconsin State
2014 Arts Division Finalist World Championship (Thanks to 2921a and 3018a)
Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Thank you for your answer. With all of the excitement going on, most of us missed the announced dates and only heard the "where" part. Thank you for your detailed explaination and for all of your hard work on behalf of our VEX teams!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 PM
VEX # 1064P

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoder

Nationals should be within the first two weeks of march, same venue. There is no other suitable venue in the city right now besides the Ralston Arena because of distance concerns and pricing, I'm 99% confident. The other 3 options in the Omaha metro area are the Qwest center (too large), Civic (Was used in elevation, too large, and is scheduled for demolition I believe next year), and Kroc center (used to be the venue, too small I believe)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 PM
VEX # N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
Nationals should be within the first two weeks of march, same venue. There is no other suitable venue in the city right now besides the Ralston Arena because of distance concerns and pricing, I'm 99% confident. The other 3 options in the Omaha metro area are the Qwest center (too large), Civic (Was used in elevation, too large, and is scheduled for demolition I believe next year), and Kroc center (used to be the venue, too small I believe)
Why does Nationals have to be in Nebraska? The ESPN Sports Center in Orlando would work. They had Worlds there at least once, and the All Star Challenge the next year.

There's at least a dozen other places we could do it, too.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 PM
VEX # 400X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Being View Post
Why does Nationals have to be in Nebraska? The ESPN Sports Center in Orlando would work. They had Worlds there at least once, and the All Star Challenge the next year.

There's at least a dozen other places we could do it, too.
It's held in Omaha because it's roughly in the center of the country so teams close to the borders don't have to travel as far. If it was in Orlando, a lot of Northwestern teams wouldn't be able to attend. It is also sponsored by the CREATE foundation, and their world headquarters is in Omaha, (I believe).
Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 PM
VEX # 1064P

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoder

To be fair, VMAC and BCIT usually conflicts as well.
1412 answered your question though, its primarily because of CREATE.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 PM
VEX # N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1412E View Post
It's held in Omaha because it's roughly in the center of the country so teams close to the borders don't have to travel as far. If it was in Orlando, a lot of Northwestern teams wouldn't be able to attend. It is also sponsored by the CREATE foundation, and their world headquarters is in Omaha, (I believe).
Huh. I didn't know that. I didn't really think about flight time. We're about four or five hours away from either location.

What do teams do in Omaha after the competition? I'm kind of curious.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:08 AM
VEX # 400X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Being View Post
What do teams do in Omaha after the competition? I'm kind of curious.
Personally, I get back to my 70+ degree tropical island as soon as possible.