Go Back   VEX Forum > Competitions > VEX Robotics Competition > VRC Toss Up (2013-2014 VRC Game) > Official VRC Toss Up Q&A

Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 AM
VEX # 7701

Thumbs up Answered: "Disabled" at the End of Match with Holding Programming

Hey Karthik,

I was wondering if it would be in violation of any rules to have a "holding" position program at the end of a match while the robot is disabled. I can't find anything that says you can't do this, but I would like to double check. Our hanging mechanism and scoring apparatus, depending on design, may require a small value of PWM to be sent to the motors in order to prevent the lift from moving after hanging, and the same is true for the scoring mechanism. My intent is to prevent the robots from hanging at the end of a match, then disablement rolls around and the robot just slowly and dejectedly sinks back down because it cannot passively hold itself up. All this would be under the assumption that if the robot begins to move (except to hold itself in its current position), the robot would be in violation of the "not accepting field commands," and action would be taken in accordance with the head ref. So, would it be permissible to activate motors and pneumatics after a match is over in order to hold a robot in its current position?

Thanks in advance,

Elliot
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof
programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Last edited by edjubuh; 11-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:51 PM
VEX GDC Chairman

Re: "Disabled" at the End of Match with Holding Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjubuh View Post
I was wondering if it would be in violation of any rules to have a "holding" position program at the end of a match while the robot is disabled. I can't find anything that says you can't do this, but I would like to double check. Our hanging mechanism and scoring apparatus, depending on design, may require a small value of PWM to be sent to the motors in order to prevent the lift from moving after hanging, and the same is true for the scoring mechanism. My intent is to prevent the robots from hanging at the end of a match, then disablement rolls around and the robot just slowly and dejectedly sinks back down because it cannot passively hold itself up. All this would be under the assumption that if the robot begins to move (except to hold itself in its current position), the robot would be in violation of the "not accepting field commands," and action would be taken in accordance with the head ref. So, would it be permissible to activate motors and pneumatics after a match is over in order to hold a robot in its current position?
At the end of the Match and at the end of the Autonomous Period, the Robots are disabled. When the field disables the Robots, all the PWM values go to zero (neutral) and there is no power to the motors. The input from the joystick is also ignored when the robot is disabled. Essentially, what you are trying to do is impossible.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:26 PM
VEX # 7701

Re: Answered: "Disabled" at the End of Match with Holding Programming

I hadn't realized that the disable command was given directly to the master CPU. I was poking around in the ROBOTC competition template when I stumbled upon this, and didn't know changing it would have no affect.

Thanks for the response and all the great work you do!
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof
programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM
VEX GDC Chairman

Re: Answered: "Disabled" at the End of Match with Holding Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjubuh View Post
Thanks for the response and all the great work you do!
You're welcome!