The GDC just posted the following update to the rulebook for Worlds, and has established their intent for implementing it in any standard competition for next season:
• Each division will use a 16-Alliance Elimination Match Ladder, as shown below.
• Each Alliance will have two Teams. In VEX U, Alliances will have one Team.
• Within each bracket of the Elimination Match Ladder, the first Alliance to win a single Match will advance to the next round.
o Any ties will be replayed until a winner is established.
• In the VRC High School divisions, the Division Champions will then play a 6-Alliance Round Robin tournament to determine the two Tournament Finalists. Details can be found in the Round Robin Criteria document.
o In the VRC Middle School and VEX U divisions, the two Division Champions will be considered the two Tournament Finalist Alliances.
• The two Tournament Finalist Alliances will then play a single Finals match to determine the World Champion Alliance.
o Any ties will be replayed until a Champion has been established
What are your thoughts on the new system, and do you think it’ll affect the game in a positive or negative way? Personally, I think that having less time for qualification matches is an issue because we already have competitions running late because they struggle to get those all done in time, but I’m nevertheless excited for a system that rewards high seeding and discourages dropping matches just to get third strung.