@_7682 There's no relationship between NZ Nationals participation and teams trying hard to qualify for worlds. Any team who is that confident (BO1 cough cough) would invest in V5 right now via whatever means possible and start working with the platform. How many NZ worlds teams do you know of that competed with their nationals robot? How many do you know who completely rebuilt after nationals?
I don't understand what you mean by saying there's no relationship between the two? To qualify for worlds (Cortex + V5) you need to do well at Nationals (Cortex only). The relationship is that Nationals participation is a prerequisite for worlds (exceptions being previous year winners invitations, of which we have none).
There's a difference between the financial investment and then the other type of investment required to build a robot - effort. I completely agree that most will rebuild, but without the experience of knowing V5 it would take a lot longer to create a robot that's of high quality. Not everyone has had the luxury that you and I have had with the beta program in already having an idea of how well the motors perform, experience of VCS, etc. For the confident teams you mention, I think it would be unadvisable to spend any time on V5 before Nationals, Bo1 as you say means that you want to devote as much time as possible into perfecting every part of your robot with the Cortex system. Diverting some of that away into learning V5 would be a bad idea IMO.
@_7682 I'd say almost every team who'd want to compete at NZ Nationals will have V4 hardware now. It's very unlikely a new team who purchases V5 hardware when school fires up next year would realistically have something prepared in time so that's an invalid argument. Each year KiwiBots run the Kiwi Challenge specifically to fill in the gap between nationals and new season.
I remember multiple instances of teams in the past that started in the new year and for whom their first events were the scrimmages just before Nationals. This needn't necessarily be a new school either, but could just be an additional team at an existing organisation, etc. We also had a new team come to their first event at the last scrimmage, which I feel kind of bad about that they just invested in Cortex.
I also don't think it's an invalid argument. Not every team going to Nationals has to be an A-tier robot. Even if a new team only builds a basic drive + cap flipper I'm sure they'd still have a good time.
@_7682 I'm told there is no stock allocation for NZ as yet and we're dependent on supply via AU. Sure a team could order a V5 system bundle direct from the US however they're paying USD188 shipping and dealing with import costs too - that is a committed team who'd prepare a V5 robot in parallel with their V4 in anticipation of winning an advancement spot. How about extra batteries and motors? We might see V5 system bundles in December if we're lucky but I'm absolutely confident teams will want more than 4 motors and 1 battery. There are too many unknowns Nathan and the consensus was that making a call sooner rather than later would be wisest. Do we really want just a couple of teams at NZ Nationals with V5 who can afford to bypass the cortex trade-in and burn money on shipping? It is in the hands of our regional support manager now.
Again, what would be the bad thing about having teams on multiple platforms? VEX / RECF clearly decided that was okay by allowing both systems and the different motor limits. If you think that V5 will be OP and hence are limiting it to nerf that approach then say that, which despite your arguments, I still think will negatively affect NZ's chances at worlds (I guess we'll see). If you think that V5 is worse then why does it need to be banned?
People want transparency and to know what's going on. If the decision has been made then it's a super important one and there should have been a blog post / announcement to all the teams already (I can't find one). If a decision hasn't been made then this is definitely the kind of thing that also should have been communicated to teams beforehand in case anyone did do their own importing as you said. I don't know if there's been updates to the other schools keeping them updated, but if it's just those who have teachers as part of the NPG then I feel the inside information there could be a bit of an issue. Imagine if a school had bought V5 after you make the decision but before it's publicly announced. That would be terrible.
Again, my whole thing just comes back to how well NZ is going to perform at worlds. I really don't want to see NZ continue the trend of falling further down towards the middle of the VRC. I feel that restricting the use of V5 at Nationals will most definitely restrict the use of V5 at Worlds by NZ teams, or produce sub-par implementations of them. Which basically means that the RSM is betting on Cortex being better than V5 at Worlds, or we're going to fall even further backwards.