We, team 8931J, have now had two ports die within the last month. The first we thought was an accident. Since the second one died just this week I decided to look on here for any help. The ports that have died have died being connected to a wire that is about three to four feet long, we made it. In these ports, the brain recognizes that the motor is there but it is not moving the claw. We are making a desperate move, we are changing our arms so that they do not need such a long cord. As for the weather, it is not very good at the moment. We also have had little no static this year, unlike my other two years of robotics, Starstruck and In The Zone. However, we just found that we damaged the wire in the slightest, with a dremal accident. We thought that we had only taken off the black outside covering, we actually took off a little of the inside wire coverings and some of the copper wire is exposed. We now do not know if we were short-circuiting the wire or if it is the same problem you are all having. I can say this, the part that was damaged was not touching the metal at any point, we also used electric tape to cover the now exposed wires, and it still does not work.
Now, another team in our club has had the exact opposite problem as us. They have had to switch all of their wires to custom length because some of the vex given wires have burned out their ports. I do believe that they burned out only one port before they decided to switch to all custom length wires. I have not heard of them having any more problems with ports. This team is also a senior team so it was not a rookie mistake as far as I know.