jpearman has replied to a conversation which you followed: Are you limited to just a few V5 Controller buttons commands?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No, I think we can program and use all of the controller buttons. We have not seen any faulty buttons, but we have not programmed buttons R2 or L2.
I went back and relooked at the controller issue within the “Driver Control Dec 30.vex” program to see if I could make a repeatable error.
For starters, I charged up both the controller and the main Brain battery.
I was able to make a repeatable error. When I first start the program, I can use the 4 arrow buttons, Axis 1, 2 & 4, R1 and L1. They all work great and there are no issues. The error starts after the first uses of Axis 2, and that is when all 4 arrow buttons stop working. Logically, that doesn’t make sense to me.
We also had another programming mystery with our “Mecanum Drive 16Nov18.vex” program (see attached). In this program, we had a issue with the LeftRear motor spinning very slowly, or maybe not at all. I now think these two issues are related. Originally when we were working on the drive train issue, we thought we had a bad LeftRear motor. Twice, we replace the motor with a new motor out of the plastic wrapping. We replaced the wiring a couple of times. We changed motor ports on the brain at least 3 time. We then replaced all of the hardware holding the motor, wheel and axle. Then we added a little lithium grease to the black plastic axle holder. Nothing improve the performance of the LeftRear motor. The robot just moved around like it had a broken motor. Even after that, I remember it was very strange that everything worked well when the boys were calibrating the robot with very simple drive commands like all 4 motors rotate forward for 2000 degrees of motor rotation (28.1 degrees of motor rotation equals 1 inch of robot travel, and 7.35 degrees of motor rotations equals 1 degree of robot rotation). That seemed to work just fine. We figured the LeftRear motor worked for short programs, but not our longer Mecanum Drive program. We then stripped out the double if-then statements and all of a sudden, the LeftRear motor started working perfectly.
Next, we started to add buttons to the Driver Control program, and we started to have problems getting the Controller buttons to work. We thought the CPU was not processing the information fast enough, Or, it could be a limit on how long a program could be before it became too long, and the Brain could not keep up. Our next step was to simplified the START Control by removing a Forever loop that ran our Mecanum wheel script. The Drive Control Dec 30.vex is the result of all of these changes.