1 more foot

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone had any quick ways of adding an extra foot to our single flywheel launcher’s distance. We only have 1 meeting left before our first competition, so we don’t have enough time to majorly rebuild anything. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I don’t know how “quick” this is, but straighten your shafts by improving your build precision. Add some grease, too. This added about 3 feet to our launcher, and reaching the theoretical speed. If you cannot improve your shooter, keep on practicing precise location on 1/4,1/2,3/4, and other shots. That should get you chosen by a high-seeded robot, or you may be the high-seeded robot. Good luck!

One thing that I learned from building my launcher is that the metal 12t gears have TONS of friction for flywheel purposes. Definitley get rid of those.

try adding rubber bands to your flywheels to increase grip. that should get you an extra few feet of range. good luck!

All of the above posts are valid considerations/modifications. You could also change your shooter’s angle if it’s angled up a large amount (lower the angle).
If worst comes to worst, add an extra meeting and change the gear ratio.

We already have rubber bands and low strength 12t gears. Both of which helped a lot thanks.

How much of what kind of grease can you use on the gears?

Has anyone figured out what the ultimate compression on the ball is?

I think the optimal compression will tend to vary from robot to robot because of gear ratio differences and wheel differences on the launcher.

You might be able to add another motor to the flywheel fairly easily although it will give you more torque then speed/ distance…

Most teams use white lithium grease on their robot. Putting grease on the axles at bearings might help a bit, but I wouldn’t put it on the gears. While it may reduce friction a bit, it would probably make more of a mess than it’s worth. Also keep in mind that any grease needs to be non-aerosol and used in extreme moderation only on surfaces that don’t contact the field or game objects. If you’re looking for some white lithium grease, we have individual 10g packets available in our shop.

Another thing, I’m not sure how your system is built, but make sure that all of the bearings and motors that axles go through are lined up perfectly. Especially if you have more than 2 bearings that the axle goes through, the axles needs fit well through them and into the motor to spin easily.

if your flywheel is too slow, how do you know if you should increase torque or speed and by how much? Is there a formula? The only way I can think of is trial and error or see how fast the wheels accelerate and eyeball it

If the flywheel’s top speed is not high enough, then you need to use a higher gear ratio. But if your flywheel accelerates too slowly, and the flywheel’s top speed is higher than it needs to be, you need more torque, and a lower gear ratio. And if your flywheel’s top speed is high enough, but not high enough to reduce the gear ratio, and the acceleration is too low for your liking, you need to add more motors. You can put a quad encoder on a shaft connected to the motors and measure the velocity of the flywheel. You can save the velocity on, say, a quarter second interval and look at it on an LCD screen, the debug stream, or RobotC’s global variables window to see what the acceleration is. I am not sure what the spin up time (from a dead stop) for a flywheel should be, as I have not done any testing with flywheels yet, so please advise.

I suspect you have already solved the issue, but if you’re really that close, one thing you could try is to add mass to your wheel by doubling it. (you would still have a single flywheel, just with a fatter wheel.)

the reality is that minimal friction is key, forget about mass and rubberbands and which gears to use

the holes really need to be lined up
does your flywheel spin freely without the motors?