1 motor flywheel

Is a 1 motor flywheel possible, and if so, would it work to launch a pancake? I don’t know if it would be powerful enough, while being fast enough at the same time.

2 Likes

Considering that the disks are foam I think you could probably make a 1 motor flywheel.

3 Likes

using gear ratios and with the disk being circular I feel if you do a one motor one wheel flywheel to give the disk spin it would work fantastic

3 Likes

I saw the Purdue Sigbots do a one motor flywheel with a flexwheel and it looked like it works good.

1 Like

I did see that reveal, but I saw that really liked veer to one side, which would be hard to get accurate. Thank yoy

On a 1 motor flywheel, is it recommended to add a sort of ratchet to allow the flywheel to coast down when the motor stops? I would think that suddenly stopping something with so much force would be bad for the motor. I was thinking a ratchet where when the motor spins one way, the ratchet catches and spins the wheel, but when it spins the other way the ratchet slips and the wheel is allowed to free spin and coast down. Has anyone used anything like this?

1 Like

With V5 you can just set the brake type for the flywheel to coast and that’ll do the same as a ratchet without the weight

3 Likes

And use voltage control instead of velocity (with coast mode). Don’t use motor.setvelocity 0 rpm, use motor.setvoltage 0 V. Voltage relates to the force it applies rather than the velocity, so friction will slowly slow it down.

Edit: change rpm to V

2 Likes

What about changing the rpm of the motor to code shots from other distances?

I’m sorry but I don’t know what a flex wheel is and is it legal for vrc.

Google is your friend: vex robotics flex wheel vrc - Google Search

2 Likes

Its a type of silicone wheel vex sells, and yes they are legal since Change Up.

1 Like

What size flex wheel did Purdue use?