1-sided lifts

Are 1 sided lifts possible? Will they be able to lift caps?

What do you mean? Like a six bar but one sided?

I think you could make a really skinny 6-bar as the caps are pretty light, but it would probably sway more. Try it out and post what you get!

Also try making a high torque gear ratio to make the lift stronger/lift more. Just be warned that this will reduce speed

I have a 1 bar on 1 side of my robot. It has a small four bar simply for mounting rubber bands but it works pretty well. I would still recommend having two full towers to keep twisting down but your build quality is fairly good then it should work fine.

You can make a super skinny one motor dr4b. Works with either one 393, or one V5 if the build quality is good.
Here is a good example:

We are doing a “one sided” DR4B but if we could re-do it we may have opted to have a full size DR4B and our puncher/flywheel in the middle of the robot due to spacing and stability issues.

I have built a puncher that intake in the middle of the bot, and thinking about building a one-sided lift. Preferably a 6-bar. Or maybe even a DR4B.

Anyone who is reading this, should I build one-sided or both sided?
IMG_7006.jpg
IMG_7005.jpg

To build on what everyone else has been saying, this is definitely a viable way to do a lift. The important things to watch out for when you’re building this are to keep the lift very well built so its thinness doesn’t affect its structural integrity, and to make sure you mount your launcher/ feeder motors (and so on) on the other side of your robot to keep the center of mass roughly centered.

Good luck!

Gearing question:
I hear a lot of people say that 5:1 is a good ratio for DR4B’s and the like, but how are those gears configured? Is it 3 gears stacked on top of each other, or is it purely a 12-tooth input gear with a 60-tooth output? I’m having trouble making a decision as to which combination of gears gets the best speed. I forgot what we used last year :confused:

Generally almost always, a 1:5 means a 12 tooth gear as the input, and a 60 as as the output. I recommend a 1:7 for the extra torque, it helps the robot remain steady without the support of a second motor.

Heres a RD4B during the ITZ season as I was testing designs:

Would a 1by dr4b help support an offset two tower dr4b at all?

made a quick cad of what i meanCapture.PNG

It would likely help the lift with horizontal stabilization but may cause other problems if you are lifting caps from the center since only on side is providing power.

Judging by what I see it would just add more weight and friction and not really support much with stability. I would suggest linking them all together with high strength axles if you’re going to be doing that.

Ok, I am providing input since I have personally built and competed with ‘slim design’ lifts. In both starstruck and itz, I had a 6-bar and 8-bar respectfully. Since we had zero alum at the time, I had one set of horizontal bars with a set of ^vertical^ bars on each side. Laugh at the mere idea of an 8-bar, but even with this slim design I was still fairly efficient.

DEFINITIONS
horizontal bars means when a 4, 6, or 8 bar is in the position where perfect squares are formed the bars that run left to right
^vertical^ bars means the ones that run vertically in the same situation