1575H Reveal

After much work we finally are ready to reveal our robot Helios V2!

Specs:
6 motor 1:35 Single Flywheel, with doubled up wheels.
4 motor 1:1.6 Base on 4" Omni-wheels
2 motor double intake system:
The first pivots to pick up balls from the ground (and sometimes sticking out from the bar)
The second feeds the balls to the flywheel, and waits with a button until the flywheel is within a set range of the set speed for automatic firing with two buttons.

We are using Take Back Half with aggressive gain for recovery and we are approaching 100% accuracy in user control with an average time of about 0.8 seconds a ball, unleashed by the press of two buttons on the joystick.
We have two quad encoders(not shown) for the base, a quad encoder chain-geared down 4:1 from the flywheel, and an integrated encoder for the flywheel. We operate the flywheel at about 55% power to make full court shots, and about 30% for bar shots.
Video of us firing (with a lower gain on TBH):Here.

P.S. Any idea how to embed video on the forums? Thanks Anemeh18!

That looks really cool! The new forum embeds YouTube videos automatically when you paste the link in last I used it.
Good luck with the rest of your season!

great bot. I like the way the shooter is designed and mounted. The design is just epic. If u don’t mind answering a few questions about your bot, is this a 3 motor shooter and whats the ratio? Is this a 3 stage intake or 2 stage. Just wondering what gain does? Does lower gain mean faster ball per second or slower balls per second?

Half of the questions you asked are answered in the first post. It’s a 6 motor flywheel geared 35:1 with a 2 stage intake. Gain is a variable that you call to change the speed of which the motors rev up to speed.

Great jobs guys! I really like seeing a single flywheel robot that has the capability of firing full court shots! It’s one of the more scare designs I’ve seen this season, but I think it’s pretty cool. I just had a few questions not necessarily about the design, but on the functionality of the robot. Do you guys know the RPM of your single flywheel, and if so, does that burn out your quad encoder? Our team was skeptical of using quad encoders whenever we used a dual flywheel design because of the fear of burning them out. We ended up using Integrated motor encoders instead. I was also wondering if your team maxed out the width of your base. Our team has a lift system that best fits full size bases, and I was wondering if most teams are going that route. Other than that, great jobs guys! Looks and works nicely!

We operate best between. 2320 and 2250 rpm for full court. We geared the encoder down 4:1 so even at theoretical max of 3500 rpm, the quad only reads just over 800. Our base is two holes in on each side from max side. We originally had mecanum and the spacing for it but changed inwards to reduce deflection and stalling.

Nice job. I was wondering, how much compression are you using and how long the backing is for your flywheel. Also, 35:1 is quite a high ratio. Are you running 5" wheels? Have you thought of lowering your gear down to something around 28:1 to achieve faster fire rate (considering your running your fw at 55% power).

Looks like a cool robot.
Does it pick up a stack well?
How much do you weigh?

What is this Thing? Lifting apparatus? Or something not related to the robot.
[attachment:56b3933da6412]

We are running 5" wheels with about 3.8-3.9" between the wheel surfaces and the back plate. We do plan to lower the power to be bit more efficient on motors. We tend to get pushed a good deal because we have a low-torque base.

When we ram the stack, it grabs 3 out of 4; we just have the occasional issue with two balls getting stuck sideways, but it usually resolves it itself. We weigh about 17 pounds. The thing in the back was a base prototype that will remain unused because it is not sized right for the flywheel.

we used quad encoders directly on the axles of the flywheels, earlier this season, and we did burn out about four of them. We then moved them up the gear chain so that they spin 1/3 the speed of the motors, no problems after that