2020 WPI Rules

I was watching some matches from WPI on Youtube and I want to know how the blue team won this match.

1 Like

because they scored more? pretty weird that blue got pulled into red’s IPZ by a rubber band, but not their fault.

Can’t quote the exact rule, but if a team gets forced into their opponents protected zone, it’s a DQ on the team that caused it. Either that or the team unintentionally encroaching on the opponent’s protected zone as a result of the opponent forcing them there is not subjected to a DQ. This means that the even though the blue team was interfering with the red alliance in the protected zone (while the red alliance is trying to score), they won’t get DQ’d because it they were being forced into there.

Don’t quote me on this. All I know is that there are rules that protect you from a DQ if you get forced into that kind of position.

1 Like

I guess that makes sense. It just seems a bit illegal since it looks like blue is just purposely driving to block red while entangled. Gotta love vex rules that have loopholes.

1 Like

Please do a little more digging - here is the rule:

<G14> You can’t force an opponent into a penalty. Intentional strategies that cause an opponent to violate a rule are not permitted, and will not result in an infraction on the opposing Alliance.

Minor violations of this rule that do not affect the Match will result in a warning. Match Affecting offenses will result in a Disqualification. Teams that receive multiple warnings
may also receive a Dis- qualification at the Head Referee’s discretion.

I highlighted the two situations in which DQ may occur under <G14>

Watching the video - Blue warrants a DQ for intentionally causing cubes to be removed from the field during early part of the match. You could argue that the If this is a Qualifying round, then only the team that cause the infraction gets a DQ and if Blue won their Blue Alliance partner would still get the WP, and the Red Alliance would also get WP for the match. If situation occurs during elimination rounds, then the whole Blue alliance gets the DQ.

Now as for the entangling, if Blue is moving to restrict Red’s movement within a confined space while entangled, that could be seen a form of trapping. In this case, Blue’s aggressive defense works against them as Referee should look at the situation to favor offensive play. As for dragging Blue into Red’s protected zone, well, it is clear that Red’s intention is to score, and Blue happens to be in for the ride.

End of match, score was heavily to Blue’s favor because of green cubes in tower - given Blue forced Green cubes from Red (four - 16 point loss) this could be considered match affecting in this case since Red 25 - Blue 30 final score.

So end of the day Blue will get the win in a QM round regardless of DQ. WPs will be determined by which team got a DQ.

Not sure what loopholes you are referring to. All robot actions here can fall into specific rules in the game manual. It just so happened there were many to choose from :slight_smile:

Nice match to think through. Good for referee training - What would call?

4 Likes

If I remembered it correctly, the team 2442F in blue team is DQed in this match.

1 Like

Loopholes just meaning this is illegal unless this happens then it is legal

Last comp, my coach said that we can just stand in front of the inner protected zone so no one could score. If the opposing alliance pushed us into the goal zone, they would get dq’ed. Is this legal?

1 Like

I would read carefully the game manual:

<SG3> Stay away from your opponent’s protected areas. Robots may not intentionally or accidental- ly, directly or indirectly, perform the following actions: …

The intent of <SG3> is to allow teams to be able to score in their goal in the protected zone. So, if the team is fully inside their protected zone while trying to score, you will fall into case A - even if it is “accidental” contact. You should get warnings, and repeated warnings will may result in DQ.

Worth reviewing with Head Referee at events and/or posting Q&A if you want an official response.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.