2022 - 2023 VEX IQ Competition - Slapshot

So the Vex Build page has been updated with a placeholder for Snapshot. Lists a gen 2 only build available at the end of July.

At least it is some communication, but it would be lively to hear more about what created the delay and use it as a teaching moment.

6 Likes

I know getting documentation translated is always a hassle and a delay in real world business, but knowing the game and the robot was likely done awhile ago, I can’t see that being the case. Unless, there was an update to the HERO bot, maybe as @Sidoti said in the videos, the intake/indexer are pretty funky, that had to be adjusted. Given the silence, feels like some post production QA found issues and updates are happening to make it a little better,

1 Like

Update, they have added a 1st gen listing. Still not available till end of July currently. So they still need to pick up the pace.lol

and it looks like they had posted the wrong image earlier for the gen 2. It looks like the gen 1 is the one from the promo video as the gen 2 looks quite a bit different.

Yeah, as expected, the gen2 version is what virtual skills is using. It was a little surprising they are so different, but fling was fairly different between gen1 and gen2 as well. Just having access to chain and sprockets allows for quite a few more reliable options.

Well, for anyone that’s interested, here is what I’ve been working on since my summer camp is starting this coming Monday. It could use more sets of eyes as it’s only been built through once. It took my 11 year-old son about 90 minutes to go through.

Obviously, this is unofficial and not nearly as pretty as what vex will release next month; but I needed something quickly and I figured I might as well share with others if I’m going through the effort anyway. Given that I haven’t been able to find any pictures or video that shows the inside or underneath of the robot clearly, this is not likely a 100% accurate reproduction of gen1 snapshot. All of the parts I used should be available in a single superkit save for 4 0x2 connector pins that can be substitued for 1x1’s that are mostly just to make life easier.

I’m happy to accept corrections, errata, feedback, or whatever. This is my first actual end-to-end attempt at creating build instructions of any level of detail. As such, I didn’t spend any time with LSynth to get rubber bands or cables generated correctly. So those will be a bit janky. If a step requires clarification, I can add a text blurb or something if it isn’t a simple change to the model. I’m still working on putting together the bill of materials since I wasn’t a huge fan of how it autogenerated. An updated version will have that at the beginning in the next couple days. I will include any additional finds in that update.

Snapshot Gen1 - Homebrew Build Instructions - Snapshot-BI-rev2.pdf - Google Drive

21 Likes

@adamjgray for GDC… or at least the Robot Design Council! :grin:

5 Likes

Looks pretty awesome. Can you walk through how you did this and the tools that you used to make it? How long did you spend?

Thanks for doing this.

Wow, you did an amazing job!

Really helpful, Thanks for the build instructions!

I’d be interested in this too, I’ve played around with generating instructions for IQ builds with LPub3D before, but I found the whole process somewhat buggy and frustrating – that PDF looks much nicer than what I was able to produce!

2 Likes

The model was made in snapcad. The instructions were made with STUDIO 2.0. I started using LPub, then LPub3D, but didn’t really like how it was handling layouts, resolution, and any internal model fixes I was doing. There are some things it does really well, but I liked the results I got with stud.io better. There are solutions for doing the rubber bands and cabling, but I was running out of time to get this done before my camp, so I had to make the decision to cut the cabling and bands in favor of having it finished in time.

Much of the time spent on this was in testing out tools, adding .dat files to the right places, and learning to use the tools. I have a bit of background in CAD from earlier this millenium, so some of the learning curve was just using the apps instead of having to learn the entire process.

I built my version of snapshot from the video about a week ago (maybe 10 days). I started on the snapcad model on Monday. The build from the video took maybe 4 hours with all the variations I was trying since the video didn’t show all the angles. The cad model and instructions took maybe 14-20 hours. It’s hard to say exactly because of the learning curve, tool testing, and re-work as I learned new things. I went back and forth a lot between snapcad and studio trying to make things show up in steps the way I wanted. Unfortunately, studio doesn’t have the same change-detection and reloading that LPub3D does, so any change I made to the cad meant I had to start over in studio. Because of this, I saved the layout adjustment work until the very end when I was happy enough with the model and instruction steps (and/or out of time).

There are definitely parts I wish I had more time for and parts that could definitely be improved. But I was pretty happy with the state of it and that my 11-year-old son was able to follow them to build the bot with very little clarification from me.

7 Likes

Some errata and corrections are coming in. I’ll be making changes and updating the file as they come in as best I can. However, there’s one section that may need a larger rework - steps 43-46 could be in a better and more clear order. It’s still “technically” correct apart from 46 which inexplicably lost a washer, but the order should probably be changed up a bit to make it easier to follow.

And since I’m bad at the rubber bands part of the process, I’m updating 32 to just have a picture of the result since the cad is not representative of the desired outcome.

3 Likes

From the rule drop, with the updated Appendix A

Q: Why can’t I replace the plastic shaft with a steel one?
A: The plastic shaft was designed as an intended failure point to protect other parts of the dispenser that are not as noticeable. A steel shaft will not fail as intended, and unseen damage can lead to intermittent issues such as the Dispenser skipping or taking more rotations to dispense.

Thanks for the answer. I’m hoping that I don’t get a broken shaft, since it’s a pain to pull things apart to replace it.

Maybe a new kit 276-1234 the Purple Disk Dispenser, so I can build and have a spare?

9 Likes

Agree with this; I think it probably addresses our other Q&A that’s not technically answered yet.

I think what’s got me concerned is teams attempting to reverse the dispenser (on accident), which I worry will cause the break with a strong enough mechanism. Backup purple dispensers ready to snap in are going to be key, and a competent volunteer to rapidly deconstruct and replace the shaft.

4 Likes

& that kit needs at least a dozen replacement shafts.

4 Likes

If were making revisions to the field assembly instruction, can we add a TOC at the front since it’s 194 pages? I am building this in sections.

https://link.vex.com/docs/2022-2023/viqc-slapshot/FieldAssembly#page=4 Goal zones
https://link.vex.com/docs/2022-2023/viqc-slapshot/FieldAssembly#page=21 Green blockers(?)
https://link.vex.com/docs/2022-2023/viqc-slapshot/FieldAssembly#page=26 Fence
https://link.vex.com/docs/2022-2023/viqc-slapshot/FieldAssembly#page=56 Yellow Dispenser
https://link.vex.com/docs/2022-2023/viqc-slapshot/FieldAssembly#page=97 Blue Dispenser
https://link.vex.com/docs/2022-2023/viqc-slapshot/FieldAssembly#page=134 Purple Dispenser
https://link.vex.com/docs/2022-2023/viqc-slapshot/FieldAssembly#page=189 Discs

I also need someone to design a tool for inserting connector pins :smile:

1 Like

Bent nose needle nose and a small stubby hammer. Harbor Freight has both, for under $7. I use them with the grandmunchkin.

1 Like

Better yet, break the giant PDF in each section so that when you load on an iPad, it doesn’t take 4 minutes due to a few hundred pages of hi-res graphics needing to load.

5 Likes

Ryan Mitchell posted this drive link to facebook a few weeks ago. It has all the parts separated into individual pdfs.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IBmF4wL5kQhpGX0WCGUZTOet9xfXU7g3?fbclid=IwAR23hcEnRs4cydoC5A1ihvBFtD04TsShJRF7nQC5ihV1GoU-un1UZWsirD0

2 Likes