(my first reveal ever lol)
After a great season, I would like to present 254C’s robot, Bandit. We managed to make it to 8th seed captain at NorCal States, but we could not qualify for world’s. So…
4 motor 1:1 drivebase
4 motor RD4B, 2 motors powering each stage individually
1 motor needle intake for cubes
1 motor claw for skyrise
The robot was already being destroyed in this picture, but the claw used to be on the right side of the robot.
1 x tournament finalist
1 x amaze award
1 x sportsmanship award
1 x energy award
We were told from the beginning that operating the upper and lower stages of our RD6B was not a good idea, since instead of four motors operating the entire lift, the two sides would not be working with one another and cause more strain individually. How did you find a workaround?
Was there any notable advantage in having your top and bottom arms operated separate from each other?
Did you run into any motor overheating issues on your lift? What gear ratio were you using on the arms?
(due to the recent thread on grammar, i will type this post with no caps)
to clarify, i did have two motors on each stage of the lift, so the top and bottom arms operate independently. they were geared to 15:1 torque with speed motors, so there was an effective ratio of 9.375:1 torque.
the main reason i did this was to give me a lot more flexibility in the game. for example, during auton, i programmed it to score six points on the cube tile. the first cube was scored by lifting up the top arm and dumping the cube onto the low pole. the next was scored by lifting up the top arm and then the bottom arm to get to the middle post.
the disadvantage i encountered was getting the two stages to sync, as well as burning out. the syncing was hard because the two stages moved at different speeds. the bottom would move slower because it had more weight on it. to make up for this, i programmed the top stage to use pid to sync with the angle. both stages have an optical shaft encoder on them.
as for burning out, the robot could lift two cubes, but it burned out after doing this a few times. i never really figured out how to solve it, so i ended up just carrying one cube at a time. if i had continued on, i would have shortened the needle to be a full-on one cube intake.
Otherwise, interesting robot! I’ve seen a few RD4B’s which have been made with each arm powered separately and they’re certainly interesting! I don’t see myself why you would lose the vertical lift potential as well as only using less motors to lift at times but overall it’s a cool design
i was still able to go vertical by using PID to synchronize the top stage to the bottom stage via encoder values. i was able to score on five skyrises and the high pole. well, i actually score on six skyrises, but it was really sketchy.