3D printed cubes weight

So I’m having an issue: we don’t have a field yet so my instructor 3D printed a bunch of cubes to send home with us over the summer. Unfortunately though I don’t have a scale that’s precise enough to weigh them. I don’t know what material he used or what infill, but in general are 3D printed game objects heavier or lighter than the original? Sorry for the lack of information, I just need to know cause I feel like I keep having to torque everything up a ton to get it to do its job

1 Like

I think they weigh about the same but a real cube might be more slippery than a printed one

if your scale can’t detect one 3D printed cube, chances are you either have a terrible scale, or the cube is way lighter than a real one.
you could weigh a bunch of 3D printed cubes at once, then divide by how many cubes you weighed to find the weight of one cube.

2 Likes

We have a terrible scale. That was proven long before this.

that’s some terrible scale. if its that bad I wouldn’t trust any measurements it gives from weighing multiple cubes. do yourself a favor and get a functional scale. or make you own from vex parts

1 Like

TL;DR: The 3D-printed cube is probably either the same weight or lighter (I’d wager between 100% and 50% of the weight of the original cube).

I’m going to make a guess and say that the VEX field elements are probably made of High-Density Polyethylene (or perhaps something similar), with a density of 930 to 970 kg/m³.

I’m also going to make a guess and say that your instructor probably used PLA (Polylactic acid) filament. This has a density of 1250 kg/m³. These values are close enough to not make a huge difference (plus we are already making a bunch of assumptions about material type).

On the other hand, you have to consider infill. The sides of the VEX cubes are completely filled with material, as the cubes were (again, probably) formed with injection molding. The 3D-printed cubes, however, may have partially hollow sides depending on your instructor’s infill settings. Because of this, they may weigh less.

If you have to torque stuff up, check your bearings to make sure the axles are turning with as little friction as possible. But remember that while a cube by itself may seem pretty light; with others it can be quite heavy. 6 tower takeover cubes are the weight of 1 mobile goal from ITZ, and those things were heavy. Many teams used a significant gear reduction for their tray pivot for a good reason.

2 Likes