4252A Documentation Reveal 2012-2013

We promised we would, so here it is! We have conglomerated all our engineering notebook entries into a single PDF file and are sharing it with the VEX community to help other teams make their own. This notebook helped us receive the design award at every local competition we went (5) and has been well received by judges and mentors. You may have seen it on display at our pit at world’s. I hope that this can be used as reference by other teams who may be unsure on how to proceed with their documentation.

Feedback is appreciated and we are always seeking to improve our own work.
(PS, our final code was left out because I had trouble turning it into a nice PDF. There are snippets of it throughout the notebook which can be found on the table of contents.)

Here is a link to a Dropbox host. I’ll use something better later.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxuzad86rhggbv2/ENTIRE%20NOTEBOOK%2012-13.pdf?m

Also sorry for the large file size. I can only do so much with over 170 pages.

-Gabe

So apparently Abee lied about you using a big chief tablet and crayons…

Great job, ours was a similar format (gotten from the 2011 world design award winners reveal) But not near as good as yours. We started much sooner this year and have busted the 50 page mark already.

Thanks for sharing this awesome example of technical documentation, Morgan Freeman would be proud :wink:
We will see you as soon as the competitions start, hopefully before San Antonio which I REALLY hope they do again!

We plan on doing something similar this year, but with the Engineering Notebooks provided by VEX. This is great guys! I plan on reading through most of it on the plane ride home.

Can’t wait to see what you guys are going to do this year!

Thanks for sharing. The notebook is…professional.
Your robot build quality is like a work of art.
All the more impressive is that you have done all this without teacher or mentor input. It was cool to see all the options you tried out and all the lessons you learned. This will hold you in good stead in the future.

Awesome work guys, Paul

Sorry about that. Next year my plan is to engrave the entries onto gold tablets. (Don’t tell Shane but he’ll be in charge of that :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

-Gabe

:eek::eek::eek:

Hello, I am Hemil, a member of 10Z from Redmond, WA. We are a first year team, all freshmen in 2013-14. Our engineering notebook in Toss Up was a simple composition book and we often put it off until a large competition. I’d like to take this opportunity to say that this is an outstanding notebook, and I can surely say that it is our team’s primary long term goal to make a notebook and have a level or organization equal to yours. I just want to tell your team that you have inspired us to improve. Thank You

This engineering notebook is immaculate. Great job!

Wow! Thank you so much for the kind words! Just this comment made all of the long hours of working on documentation worth it! It sounds like you and your team are off to a great start, and I wish you the best of luck in the new season.

Thanks! Congratulations on an amazing season this year!

Hi, I’m the coach of a brand new team (356E) and I was trying to see other documentation pieces for the design award, as I have never competed for the award myself, and I tried to check your reveal out but unfortunately the link is broken for me :(, is there another link for it?

Thanks,
Sunny Sandhu

Hi,

Sorry… but is it just me or is there something wrong with the link?
I couldn’t access the file. :confused:

The original Dropbox link in this thread has been down for quite a while. Here is a new link I hosted for the notebook, I’d assume Pastoral Invasion would not mind.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4vqy97

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Ok, just gonna go ahead and download this-aaaand it’s flagged as a virus by AVG. Anyone else getting this problem?

I didn’t realize this was still going around. Sorry about the link, here is an updated link from drive:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwM69fWE9i0eSldnTlVCeTRNWFE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Anyone is free to store or share this notebook in any way. Because of convenience issues I won’t post the Toss up notebook.

2 Likes