46V Passive roller mech

this is a 100% passive roller mech we designed

40 Likes

Interesting idea. Looks like it rotates the rollar around 90 degrees per push. This means 2 pushes to fflip the roller. On my bot (and I think most bots), I have the roller mech chained to the intake and that seems to work well and it very simple. Not sure if it will ever catch on. Cool engineering though.

16 Likes

Thanks. It actually changes the roller different depending on the speed form about 180 to like 45 deg which is really nice for driving

2 Likes

Yeah I feel like it’s kinda inefficient if you have an intake, but if a team couldn’t chain the intake motor this might work

Well this one seems more accurate than a spinner chained to a intake according to OP.

1 Like

Its not because if the roller is angled(rotated), it doesn’t work since it has a hard time spinning to an unfixed degree

I’m saying that if the robot is set up well for auton, the spinner could turn the exact degrees if needs to every time. With a chained to intake spinner however, there could be factors to take into play. Such as, the program glitching out and making the intake turn too fast, the motor breaking, or even the chain breaking mid-match. This system seems to be more reliable than chaining the spinner to the intake system.

1 Like

Love the roller mech. While it may be more consistent to have a flex wheel paired with a color sensor chained to the intake, the designs are not mutually exclusive. I could see people putting one of these on the opposite side of their bot as the wheel roller mech for last minute roller clutches. If they are simple enough 4 of them on an x-drive lol.

1 Like

if made properly, it’s actually WAY more consistent than flex wheel with a motor

I am curious as to why you think a flex wheel with a motor is inconsistent.

3 Likes

Speaking in auton, alot of people at mall would drive up to the roller and spin their flex wheel,
but it wouldn’t keep pressing into the roller and it would lose traction the whole time. With this, you can simply drive into the wall at the roller once in auton and with mine, i tested it like 20 times and it got the roller every time. Can upload a vid with that if you want

3 Likes

I would say that this is better in auton, due to consistent results, but the flex wheel is better in Driver Control due to the extra speed/efficiency.

2 Likes

Idk passive might be faster-no need to spin anything, just drive into it

1 Like

But if it spins too much or too little, you will have to go back and go forward again, or even multiple times. The opponents won’t always leave the rollers at 90 or 180 degree angles.

A mechanism like this would be a beast during skills runs and auton

4 Likes

why not have passive and chained roller :flushed:

4 Likes

Honestly not a bad idea if someone has an X drive. Just have one side dedicated to flex wheel / traction wheel and the another dedicated to passive. Quick turning on one end and more accurate on the other

The passive mech might also be a good backup just in case something goes wrong on the powered one (chain breaks, motor issues, etc.). There’s really no downside to it if you have room on the robot.

3 Likes

Why not add 1 passive per each side for maximum flexibility…

But tbh, I wonder how well this will work with different field setups…eg rollers with more friction or less than the field you have at home. This might mean this passive mechanism wouldn’t work for every tournament (at least as intended, the roller would spin, but maybe too much or not at all).

2 Likes

Or a passive on one side and with intake motor on the other. Might make defending the rollers near end game easier if you don’t have to rotate the bot to affect a roller.

6 Likes