So after seeing the Wasabi wallbot, I decided I wanted to make my own. V1 of the robot was made in about 3 days, with the walls being very light and easy to lift.
The V2 of the robot, shown below kept the same basic design, but it included thicker and heaver walls.
We use a PIC brain, with all 10 motors taken up. The motors on the base of the robot look like this, http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/Rob22342/VEX%20Robotics%20-%20Gateway%20Season/DSC09653-1.jpg with 4 3 wires and 2 393’s driving and then in this picture 1 393 and 1 269 for strafing. These gave us enough power to push other robots.
One thing that really set us apart from the Wasabi wallbot is that we used pnumatics to lower an “outer shell” of the robot to the ground, which in turn raised the driving wheels above the ground. The outer shell also had wheels on it, kept in place with lock plates to add traction to the robot, making it harder to push when the outer shell went down.
The walls were able to fall down once the pistons retracted, which moved a bar out of the way. It was assisted by a rubber band on each side, and when combined with the weight of them, they fell pretty fast. Each wall also had a small driven omni on each side, which allowed us to drive the wall against robots pushing the wall.
At the second meet it went to, the Green Mountain VEX Challenge, I was picked by the first seed which included team 4886a, Aperture Science and team 44, Green Egg Robotics. At this time, my robot would hit its breakers, since we didn’t (still don’t have one) have a power, so while trying to install one, the code got messed up and it didn’t compete in the finals.
Finally, the reason I’m finally revealing this is because today I found out our B team could push us, with the walls down and pushing back, so I started designing V3 2 days before our Scrimmage.
Any feed back on the robot design would be helpful! I sadly don’t have any videos of it in action, the one is bad quality and is mostly aiming at me anyways.