5 Motor Drive Concept

If you can code it, go for a single strafing H-Drive. We built one - see attached pic. I will warn you though. Be VERY careful about this drive setup. Unlike using the normal 2 wheels for strafing in an H-Drive, this has just one, meaning it doesn’t “rest” or “grip” the ground as well as the others. (Think about how the weight is distributed.) You’d have to have wheels perfectly in plane with each other (which will never happen.) We had major problems where the center wheel couldn’t grip the ground and would just spin freely. We are currently designing a suspension system to maintain that wheel’s grip to the floor.

If you can code it, go for a single strafing H-Drive. We built one - see attached pic. I will warn you though. Be VERY careful about this drive setup. Unlike using the normal 2 wheels for strafing in an H-Drive, this has just one, meaning it doesn’t “rest” or “grip” the ground as well as the others. (Think about how the weight is distributed.) You’d have to have wheels perfectly in plane with each other (which will never happen.) We had major problems where the center wheel couldn’t grip the ground and would just spin freely. We are currently designing a suspension system to maintain that wheel’s grip to the floor.
IMG_6113.JPG

What kind of lift do you currently?

mecanum drive with a single omni in the center :stuck_out_tongue:

Could you power a differential with the extra motor, and have an output go to a wheel on either side of the drive? I’m not sure how that’d work for turning, though.

The senior team I mentor took a build to state that had 2 dedicated lift motors and 2 dedicated drive, with a transmission to send the remaining 6 either way. Sadly, they did not plan in enough time to perfect the details. It nearly worked. It could have worked.

A less extreme 4 lift, 4 drive and 2 switch would be easier and would let you be 6/4 biased either way.

We had that at the beginning of the year. The transmission worked well, but we found that we never used it in match play. The gear ratios that we could get that were sustainable on 4 motors didn’t make sense with 6 motors. We settled at a 2:1 4" wheels on the drive and a 1:5 on the lift. At these gear ratios 6 motors worked better on the drive and the extra 2 motors on the lift didn’t really add much. We couldn’t really drop the gear ratio on the lift because any lower and 4 motors started to stall. We tried to make the switch after grabbing a very large load (+7 stars) but we found that we would just burn out our drive trying to get to the fence to throw. It was definitely a good concept, but the gear ratios didn’t play out well enough.

K.I.S.S.

K.I.C.K

(Keep it complicated kid)

try only putting 4 motors on the lift and maybe more rubber bands on it. We had a 6 motor turbo at the beginning of the year and found if we were pushing it would die after like 25 seconds.

I have 6 motor turbo in this video. That robot didn’t burn out until at least 10+ minutes of practice.

We also had a 5:3 speed ratio with the 6 turbo motors ;p

it didn’t burn out until our driver went a little crazy slamming into walls, the fence, and pushing 7+ stars across the entire field… But it could drift like nothing else

Well that is quite different.

But i do know teams this year (i believe 62, and other copy’s i have seen) that have turbo 4" and dont burn out the entire match… i guess if you make it light enough than you shouldn’t have an issue with 4…

Why? That seems like quite a bit of overkill. It’s all I can handle to drive a 6 turbo motor 1:1.

well we thought this game was gonna get down to how spoody u cud kerchoo so we made it go super spood and as you said, it was pretty uncontrollable but sooooooooo much fun to drive around. We used the same gear ratio that 929W used on their nothing but net worlds robot because that worked really well for them. But i do not ever recommend XD…

Just lower the center wheel, so that it would rock back and forth on a hard surface, but it will sink in on the foam.

@Oedipus Vex The problem is that then driving strait would be greatly impaired by the wheel digging in. I’m trying to stop that.