6 V4 drive vs 4 V5 Drive?

So for the competition I participated in we got all the way to the finals and lost due to the speed of the V5 motors on the teams we we’re playing against. I am doing a rebuild and Im wondering if I throw another 2 V4 motors on my drive which would make 6 if it would allow me to have equal speed and torque with at least most of the V5’s.(I do know it says more than two times as powerful on the V5 description but I am still curious if it is possible.)

I would say on both V5 and Cortex that half your motors should be dedicated to a drive train, so I would also add 2 more motors onto a drive. In my recent competitions I have lost to 4 V5 motor drive trains simply because they were faster and had more torque than me with a 4 motor drive, and it has seemed to do better with 6 motors.

We have a six motor v4 drive geared for speed.We are yet to test if it can over power a four motor v5 drive but it can overpower a 2 motor v5 drive. We had the same situation in finals and the extra two motors really help.

The 393 motors have maximum rotational speeds of 100, 160, and 240 rpm depending on which internal gears you use (standard, high speed, turbo). Adding another motor directly to your drive without other modifications will not change your maximum speed, but it might help you get to that max speed quicker.
For comparison, the V5 motors have max rotational speeds of 100, 200, and 600 rpm depending on the cartridge you use.

The way you compensate and increase your max speed, with either motor set up, is gear ratio is what you want to research. You’ll need to build an external gear train. With variations in set up you can gain speed by giving up torque or gain torque by giving up speed. The real benefit to V5 is that they start with more power, which means they can do the same amount of work quicker or they can do more work in the same amount of time.

Research GEAR RATIO and GEAR TRAINS!

The data for the motors is on the VEX website here. I encourage students to use these specifications for calculations that will help in your design process before you build (looks good in your engineering notebook, as well). Two V5 motors have 22W of power (max and continuous). Six 393 motors have 23.58W of max power, 16.2W continuous. Six V4s can “overpower” two V5s briefly, but it won’t compare to four V5s for power alone.

Like my earlier post said it’s all about gearing. If you want to win a pushing match, V4 geared properly can do it, but that robot would lose a speed match by ALOT. If you want to be faster V4 geared properly can do it, but it would lose a pushing match by ALOT. In fact, V4 geared for speed might not even have enough torque to move itself!

Thanks to everyone i’m going to take all this advice into mind when rebuilding it. I’ll send a message back here if I figure out a configuration of both motor internal gears and gear ratio that can keep up with V5 because I know that it would benefit many teams who weren’t able to get their hands on the V5’s before the order backup.

Honestly in the majority of the tournaments that I have been in the only V4 robots that have had success are with a 8 motor drive.