67101C Vex Spin Up Reveal | Deployable Wall

Back in Tower Takeover, I built a deployable wall prototype. I figured that this design could be usefull on a Spin Up robot as well. The design is fairly compact and the force of hitting the ground is enough to cause it to expand. Obviously this is not a full robot, but it could be a useful addition to one.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

25 Likes

Just the other day I was looking a deployable wall from tower takeover (224X Vex Tower Takeover Bakersfield States Reveal (Tether wallbot) - YouTube). I would image that these scissor walls could
be passively powered by rubber bands, and just released by a pneumatic cylinder. With string you can still move and score points in the last ten seconds, which I think is especially important for making sure the rollers are your color, while walling of the other set of rollers. I foresee this becoming a widely used endgame mechanism.

7 Likes

How many tiles is it actually touching? I can see that it’s pretty bowed out, is that a function that allows it to deploy, or just a byproduct of how it was made?

1 Like

Highest it got in practice was 8, but there is no reason you couldn’t build a longer wall.

It’s just a byproduct. If you were worried about it not touching you could add little bits of string that hang down.

3 Likes

what are its dimensions? It doesn’t look that compact for an 18x 18 bot

1.5 inches thick, 12 inches wide, and 12 inches long.

3 Likes

Man these end games are going to be wild! I can’t wait XD

Imagine having several of these. The other robots will have a tough job of manoeuvring around the field. Field positioning will be a big factor for the end game with no entanglement or trapping.

I guess you could also use something similar to completely clear a low goal too… this season will be awesome with lots of variation in contrast to a game like Change Up.

3 Likes