9457B & 9457W State Reveal

The design for your cube locks are ingenious! I hope you don’t mind if I “borrow” them :slight_smile:
Albeit with modifications, but I like those

1 Like

@ParkerT_9457B

Thank you!

Yeah, go ahead. That’s what Vex is all about, learning from others and making improvements!

4 Likes

awesome reveal guys. sick cube lock. definitely gonna have to try something like that. quick question tho, how do u guys cut ur lexan? cuz that slider is really cool but seems like it requires some really good cutting

We are lucky enough to have a computer guided 50W laser that we use to cut all our polycarb, however right now we are building a new bot for worlds, and we used the hand mill as it leaves a nicer surface

I’d recommend avoiding using the laser to cut polycarb for safety reasons. Something about mustard gas…

Great looking robots are you 100rpm or 200 on the drive motors? Also have you had any issues with the cube locks being pushed down by the arms with 7+ cubes? I’ve seen a lot of team’s opt for horizontal rotation instead to avoid this issue, as the more cubes in the tray, the higher torque required to release your lock.

3 Likes

Who is Omar, and why should we never forget him?

2 Likes

I have also heard of a lot of safety concerns surrounding polycarbonate on a laser, but we make sure to take plenty of safety precautions. We also let the part sit in the laser with the fume extractor on for a minute or so before we take it out after the cut.

Also, they are 200 rpm motors geared up for speed so our 3.25” omnis spin at 280 rpm. As with the cube lock, no we really haven’t had too many issues with it. I do however, know of the problem and that is why our worlds bot will have the horizontal style cube lock. We are able to do 9 cubes with our current design.

5 Likes

So I joined Vex at the beginning of ITZ, and when I joined I was allowed to create a new team as we had so many new members. I was introduced to Omar, and we quickly became great friends. I founded 9457W with him, and made it to worlds last year with him. Omar has since become a meme in our school among my friends and his friends, although I do not know the exact origin. Maybe it is because he was quite the meme lord himself. Omar graduated last year, and that is why we said what we did. We all love Omar and he lives on in our hearts. I have since left 9457W to fill the empty spots left by the graduated members of 9457B, and had my best friend take over the lead role at 9457W. Omar will never die.

5 Likes

Our reason (W) is that we had to conserve room in the back of our bot since we made the arms stick out in front of the drive chassis and needed the cortex visible for our auton selection. As a result we didn’t really have that much room in the back for something like B did and found this as our solution.

1 Like

Ours (W) also picks them up extremely well at this angle! It is also really efficient at getting cubes out of the zones since our arms are so far forward.

1 Like

Depends what type of plexi like material you use. Poly carb tends to produce soot flames and smoke (my team has experience), but true plexiglass (and i think lexan too) is completely fine to laser cut.

1 Like

a quick google search tells me that polycarb does not release any especially toxic fumes, though it tends to melt rather than vaporize, making it hard to laser cut well. idk.

abs seems like it does emit toxic fumes though.

Plexiglass is illegal though.

3 Likes

Was wondering what the black material is on 9457W’s bot? Does it have the same slippery-ness of plexi? My team is working on relieving friction on trays, so should we look into that? Thanks for any advice

1 Like

Maybe ABS? I don’t know for sure though because I’ve never used abs.

1 Like

Riptide guessed right! We use an abs sheet for all of our work, mainly just because that’s the only black colored “lexan” that we have lol, but it works extremely well and allows the cubes to freely slide. It also looks really nice with all the decorations we put on our bot!

2 Likes

What kind of motor cartridges do you use for your intakes?

1 Like

Both us and B use 200’s. We found them to be the best fit with both of our robots, and once you work out the compression, it really helps to increase the speed at which you pick up cubes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.