99371a cascade lift explanation

@Trex - were you ever able to measure those spacers? We don’t have a laser cutter and some of our guys want to try and build a lift based on your design.

0 Likes

I built one based on the design w/o spacers and even without grease it is really smooth

0 Likes

@224x Do you have pics or something with that design

0 Likes

@Sgarg14 I’ll DM you some pics tomorrow

0 Likes

It is really cool that you guys did it without the linear slide

0 Likes

Thank you we really appreciate all the complements.

They are 2.9/16 inches sorry for the late response been busy with aps and finials.

0 Likes

Cascade lift spacers link

You mentioned that you used sprockets with a center hole in them, but I can’t seem to find them anywhere online. The ones online only work with normal axles, not any other centers. Can you send me a link to them?

0 Likes

I think if you want a sprocket with a round hole in the center you have to do it yourself with a dremel.

0 Likes

Highstrength compatible ones with a round insert?

0 Likes

or that

0 Likes

I would highly recommend a drill, ideally a drill press, when doing something like this. Dremel tools are nice and all. But a drill is a common tool far better suited to this purpose.

Where did you find those? Even now when I search VEX EDR stuff I only find the high-strength sprockets with square slots for smaller axles, just like @ReeseSteindler said.

0 Likes

Where did you find those? Even now when I search VEX EDR stuff I only find the high-strength sprockets with square slots for smaller axles, just like @ReeseSteindler said.
If you check the CAD files, there are the ones that are compatible with the high strength metal inserts.
I did a small bit of searching and on Robotmesh it appears they’ve got 12 tooth sprockets compatible with the inserts, by the look at the product page.
It could also be possible that they come with the big competition kits and such; every single sprocket I have at home is compatible with the shaft, which makes me think that’s how i was able to get them.

0 Likes

I see it, but I wonder if it’s legal for competition. I did a google search for “VEX High Strength Sprocket 12 Tooth (4-Pack)” and the only place I could find is Robot Mesh. I didn’t even show up with a VEX link. VEX usually keeps discontinued stuff up, too.

I could see that being a possibility, which would make them legal and hard to find.

It would be really, really nice to have these available. I’ve had to drill out a bunch, and that’s rarely as good as using the green inserts. More importantly, it’s permanent, so those I drilled can never lock to axles again.

0 Likes

Has the question ever been asked in a Q&A about the legality of these spacers? Since it’s not a size Vex sells, wouldn’t it need to meet the criteria in rule R7-b or c?

0 Likes

@Carlinh vex also doesn’t sell 27 hole c-chanels but there still legal

0 Likes

That’s a completely different topic and something that is completely legal under rule R16-j. Rule R7-b is about parts that are identical to Vex components, and R7-c is about fasteners and washers. I’m looking to see if anyone has a official clarification on if these are legal.

0 Likes

<R16> Covers all of the possible modifications you can make to your parts. The only one that I can see talk about cutting/drilling metal. There’s no mention to modification of other parts, such as cutting a gear. I think there may need to be an update to the manual.

0 Likes

Using these spacers is not technically legal but it is nearly impossible to enforce. If you want to comply fully with the rules, it is best to avoid use of these or machine the correct size from legal vex spacers.

0 Likes

I have recently bought two of the high strength sprocket and chain kits, both times the 12 tooth sprockets have come compatible with the round and square inserts. I purchased these directly from vex.

0 Likes

I know this thread is quite long, but sometimes other people have the same questions as you (as in this case)

Link to the answer post in this thread: https://vexforum.com/index.php/conversation/post/269610

0 Likes