A Brief History of the VEX Forum

Here is a brief history of the VEX Forum. There’s not much to it (hence the “brief”), but it is still interesting to see how far we have come. Enjoy…

Original VEX Forum: October 27, 2005 - November 12, 2015

vex%20forum

VEX Forum: November 12, 2015 - February 11th, 2019

• Forum Software: Esotalk
  • Forum Lasted: 1187 days

forum

Current VEX Forum: February 12, 2019 - Current

• Forum Software: Discourse

newforum

What programming language did he use to write this forum? It looks great!

Probably Erlang.
(20char)

+1Vex%20forum%20under%2020%20characters

So the old forum has been gone 4 years but when someone says vexforum it’s still what I picture. I assume that’s how all the old folks feel.

Just curious, how could the user Ricky Torrance,from the first forums, post something on Forums on the 5th of October but have joined on the 27th of October?

The date you are reading is October '05 meaning 2005.

Oh, ok. That makes since. Just seemed a bit off to me at the first glance.

The UI has gotten better and better and the quality of the posts have gotten worse and worse :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, it’s kinda entertaining to see the three layouts side by side. Thanks for putting this together!

James Pearman is still #1 on the big board.

I expect I will pass Karthik in the next year but passing Jpearman is a pipe dream.

Woah! I didn’t know that was a thing! I guess I have the most likes on the forum! Help me keep it alive!

Yeah, my late joining date is kinda holding me down. I expect I’ll rise up sometime in the next year.
Edit: If only pm messages counted…

There is something wrong in some of the historical data. It shows I joined in 2013, and I know my join date was in 2007. Get off my lawn, you kids.

The youth on the forum (and I’m looking at you young @tabor473) tend to be very noisy, but then go away in 2-3 years. James abides.

Hey! I take offense to that! :smiley:

I remember when this was posted.

I hadn’t joined the forum at that time and was just browsing, it was just before worlds 2011, I was still in awe of members like @MarkO and @Quazar. I think the signal to noise ratio was much higher back then, members only posted if there was something worthwhile to add to a discussion.

I’m still in awe of Quazar and MarkO. They were James Pearman before James was invented.

And… I am still in awe of James Pearman :slight_smile:

Oh @Quazar, he could wring cycles out of the 0.5 controller, so much awesome code from him

@tabor473 – Said this to you before, and I’ll say it to the new roboteers, quality over quantity is always the best plan.

But I have to say the most recent surprise is to find @MayorMonty is now a mentor, that’s going to be a team to track.

I do miss @murdermeek, I don’t see him in the forums.

I’m a mentor? I mean, I help out a lot of the local middle school teams, but I’m still a HS Junior

Yea, but the MayorMonty of a few years ago posted far differently than the MayorMonty “mentoring local MS teams”. Age does not a mentor make.