A series of Irregular Questions

As titled, I will be posing a series of odd questions about gameplay asking for yalls input. Some of these are likely not going to have definite answers, so just speculation or opinion will do fine. I will also preface this by saying I am a veteran to vex asking questions each with a specific intent, not some unfortunate new team that is making their lives much harder than they need to be.

So here’s two scenarios, see the attached photo for a visual representation of each.

Scenario 1:
Background:
Lets say you have some robot that is extremely back or front heavy, imagine a robot with a tiny wheel base and a partially extended 6 bar if you want. Now in order to keep from tipping they have a wheely bar / anti tip bar as pictured. Without such bar the robot is guaranteed to tip over due to the poor weight distribution.
Questions:

1. I know you cannot use the wall to stay in size at the beginning of the match, but can you use it to keep from tipping? Say the robot is backed against the wall slightly leaning on it before the match. Then as the match starts, the wheely bar pops out and the robot becomes stable, allowing it to drive away. Also know that if the wall were removed, the robot would still be in size, but would be tipped over.
  2. What would be the legal matters if the opposing alliance were to push the wheely bar in, causing a tip?
    a) While my robot is playing defense on the opposing robot
    b) In random inadvertent contact while maneuvering the field
    c) While the opposing robot is playing defense on my robot

Scenario 2:
Background:
Lets say There are two robots on an alliance, the Brown robot and the Blue robot as pictured. Now lets say the blue robot has some sort of grappling hook they use to grapple to their partner. While at distance the two robots are connected by a rope that is latched on to the Brown robot and permanently connected to the Blue robot. Assume the full width of the blue robot never exceeds 36 inches including the full boundaries of the robot and the rope and the hook.
Questions:

1. Are you allowed to run around closelining other robots? (without tipping them)
    a) What happens if the opposing robot breaks your rope?
    i) What if it werent a rope, but something more heavy duty like metal?
    b) Due to your new greater than 36 inch combined breadth, are there any odd rulings that may be applied?
  2. Now lets say the two robots have a mobile base of the other alliance’s color in between them, It is pressed up against each robot which allowed the two robots together to take it throughout the field. Each robot is only contacting one side, and in the reference frame of the robot, it is doing no different than pushing it against a wall. However, with both robots in contact, it could be considered possessed by Brown-Blue robot system. If one robot were to dissapear, the mobile base would no longer be able to be moved in a direction tangential to the contacted side as it were before. Is this allowed?
    a) Now same scenario as above, but the mobile base is now off the ground due to the friction and normal force. Still no individual robot has possession. Still Legal/illegal?

IMG_0702.JPG

Thank yall for taking the time to ponder these questions and give your thoughts. Please feel free to do your best to answer these or pose new questions about either of the scenarios.

Edit: Anyone Know how to properly orient that photo?

If the wall wasn’t there, the robot would tip, thus exceeding the size limits. So really, its the same question… and the same answer.

That would be up to the referee to rule, but in general the rules are there to prevent an opponent from actively tipping your robot, not to protect your robot from poor design decisions. Interaction is expected between machines.

Look up “entanglement” in the rules and inspection guidelines.

Well, again it would be up to the ref, but since you were playing defense and likely engaging in entanglement at the same time, the robot that broke your rope would likely get a round of applause… and then possibly reinspected for sharp edges.

No. G12 is an even rule. Mind you, G13 is an odd rule that might be applied, too.

I’ll leave this one to you to look up. Just read the relevant rules and you’ll find the answer… just like for every other question here. In general, however, referees will offer a great deal of latitude for you to lose the match in many creative ways.

Jason

The way rule G3 is worded this year, you can use the wall or tiles to hold you within size at the start of the match, you just have to be able to pass inspection without using the field element.

Assuming any robot is 17.5" or more in every direction, to be able to clothesline them would mean your string would have to be 18" at least, and any diagonal from the far corner of your robot to the side of the string would be the square root of 36^2 + 9^2 (assuming your robot is also about 18 inches) which is considerably above the 36 inch limit. Therefore, this is not a viable strategy, even if it is legal.