A Tooth for a Tooth - a VEXIQ Handbook

One of the things that is great about the VEXIQ system is the number of different size gears. This allows you to find the perfect gear ratio for your particular project. I’m always on the prowl for ways to explain this to teams.

I got a copy of A Tooth for a Tooth - a VEXIQ Handbook and was pretty impressed.

The first section was a pretty simple overview of gears. Starting with Chapter 3 they start into the math around gearing. I was able to follow it but younger teams may have a problem. In Chapter 4, the math becomes simpler and is easier to follow on how to calculate what your gearing will do. Chapters 5 and 6 get into some more complex setups.

They introduce Minimum Spanning Beam - the shortest beam that can cover all of the axels of a gearbox. Ideal for saying “will that fit into the space I have?”

There is a very good reference to other gear information in the back. There is also an online spreadsheet to help with some of the calculations.

My only drawback is they just focus on the three gears that come in the starter pack (12-36-60 tooth) It would be nice if they had included the 24-48 tooth gears. The book is from 2014, not sure when those came out.

If you are a teacher or a mentor looking to move your VEXIQ team to the next level, this is a good book to look at. It’s not a book that you are going to be able to fling at a team to read on it’s own, but with some guidance from you it will work.

6 Likes