Accelerometer

so im using an accelerometer. i kno how to get values from it, but do not know what they represent. i hav a hunch that they represent g’s (9.8 m/s^2). does it represent g’s?

You can think of it that way. A quick read of the wikipedia entry on accelerometers should make things clearer: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer

For RobotC (I did not test with EasyC).

in the ±6G range to get values in G divide by (approximately) 136.
in the ±2G range to get values in G divide by (approximately) 410.

Actual numbers may vary slightly for each sensor and the way it is connected to the cortex.

The datasheet for the LIS344ALH, the part used on the accelerometer according to the product page, shows the output is Vdd/5 or Vdd/15 depending on the range. Vdd is 3.3v but looking at the sensor it also has a quad op-amp so it looks like VEX is amplifying the range back to 1V/G as the measurements suggest.

Edit:
This presentation by TI also make for interesting reading.

jpearman gave some possible values to divide by to find the acceleration in Gs. To find the specific numbers for your sensor, you can run a simple test. Using a bubble level or similar tool, position your accelerometer so one axis points straight down. Its usually easier to use the z-axis, because screw holes make it easy to arrange parallel to the ground. Dividing the reading that you get off the z-axis and divide it by 9.907, and that will give you the ratio for your specific sensor for accelerometer value to Gs.