Alignment Mechanism

Hi! Recently I have been working on some prototypes, so far there has been one big problem in particular. When pulling up to the goal to score the intakes would either rub against the goal while scoring or you would be misaligned and therefore miss the shot. In the game though you are going to have to be effective and fast, and with these issues it was harder to be effective and fast. But after thinking back to turning point I remembered 1814D’s cap bot which was able to score caps very effectively because of their cap aligner. So I came up with this…image
Eli, 63303V

11 Likes

bruh what

how far away are you from the goal? there’s not much room to miss lol

1 Like

The point of it is perfect alignment for scoring and to keep your intakes off of the goal. For example, in a scrimmage that took place, teams would go up to the goal turned wrong and miss…

1 Like

If im understanding right, the reason you need an alignment mechanism is to keep your intakes from hitting the goal. But how do you intake balls out of the goal if the alignment mechanism blocks that? Even from the pic in the first post it looks like you have no way to descore, which is probably worse than having troubles scoring.

I’m assuming he is referring to missing due to being angled too far left or right. With a well tuned hood and good driving it shouldn’t be a much of an issue though

2 Likes

I did something similar, but on the base of the bot, aligning with the lip (I will say, all that bent metal is totally unnecessary, just a “V” like 1814 used would work fine.)

3 Likes

Don’t forget about auton, it’s very important to have hard physical resets for your sensors because error accumulates over time. Having a physical aligner gives the robot the ability to reset with a known position on the field not limited by software.

I explained it better here:

This also significantly improves efficiency in skills and matches because the driver no longer needs to precisely align with the goal but rather just slam into it without much thought. This also ensure the intakes are precisely at the exact tuned depth in the goal zone every time. I really don’t see a reason not to use a hard stop outside of extreme cases.

Whether or not this particular hard stop is the best design is another question. I’d personally just use 2 spacers that emulate the curvature of the goal zone. Kinda hard to illustrate without a diagram. That is also what I used to increase consistency when depositing in goals in my TT robot.

16 Likes

that’s fair; i thought it was something else he was talking about aligning tbh. i hardly think bent c channel is the best option though. that mount is going to die too lmao

2 Likes

Why not have a lexan alignment similar to this?

tarans used way too much lexan there but yeah that would work if it was rigid and didn’t change position. would need to be mounted well

1 Like

Because last time i tryed to bedn lexan my oven almost caught on fire

3 Likes

Searched on Google:

Sounds like poor handling imho

2 Likes

yes the lexen meltd and it dripped on the ovin floor

i do not recommend using a ovin to bend plastic

There’s instructions online on how to handle lexan properly. For us, we generally had a pan to put lexan on so in case anything bad happens the pan would catch anything. As an addition, patience is key. It’s best not to heat the lexan up too quickly or else it would form bubbles or worse.

Ah i think we had the ovin on 800 degrees celcius maybe that is to hot

(Real talk though, if you don’t need an even curve, you can cold bend with your tool of choice, like a clamp or one of those long things you put on a table. Otherwise you should find some non-plastic material to make a jig and use a heat gun to bend to the desired shape.)

Ya think?

edit:

Also,
What kind of oven do you have that gets that high?
I think you’d need a blacksmithing forge to reach those temps

16 Likes

Here’s my team’s aligner, made without heating lexan:
Screenshot_20200727-215238_Photos

20 Likes

heat gun and vice is op that’s all imma say

2 Likes

You definitely should be using a heat gun and not an oven to bend lexan.