Almost DQ'd for cubes

Ok so the competition yesterday we were almost DQ’d for the image we have provided. We pushed a huge pile of cubes at the last 5 seconds of the match and we accidently got 2 opponents cubes in. Why is this “bad” if it was on accident and it was impossible to fix because the time ran out. If i didn’t debate with the judges we would have been DQ’d.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?
IMG_4978.jpg

I don’t know the whole situation but i do know one thing:

<T01> Referees have ultimate authority during the competition. **Their rulings are final. **

I know it is frustrating sometimes, but just be calm and explain to them your point without insulting them. I cannot comment on the legality of this without knowing the full story.

P.S, judges dont ref.

Placing opponent cubes in your protected tiles is illegal because it would be a cheap method of hoarding your opponents’ cubes and removing them from their reach. The GDC wrote this rule into the manual with that in mind. However, if it was accidental, only affected 2 cubes, and happened right at the end of the game then it probably wasn’t match-affecting. In that kind of case, most refs will let you off with a warning, which is what these refs ended up doing. I don’t really see the problem here.

Agree with Raptor. It is not illegal if opponent’s cubes are touching your tiles. It is illegal to intentionally store cubes in your protected zone. Refs should distinguish between the two.

I fully agree with you #3921

Cameron Schiller, sorry I meant Ref not judges!

If the problem was fixed, what are you even complaining about?

If anyone has had the same issue

I would not DQ you since it wasn’t match affecting, but it is illegal to push cubes of your opponent’s color onto your tile. Remember the referees are volunteers. Yes, they should know the rules, but if they did not donate their time competitions would not happen.

As a side note, would people who are not a member of team BNS please stop using BNS signatures? I know Cameron is at least in BnS (the chat not the team) but I don’t know TeamRocketRobotics and they are definitely not on team Bots ‘n’ Stuff.

Robots may not deposit their opponent’s Cubes in/on their own Alliance Starting Tiles or the grey foam field tile between the two Alliance Starting Tiles and located in the corner of the field, or on Robots or Scoring Objects touching said tiles. The intent of this rule is to prevent intentional strategies to permanently isolate the opponent’s Cubes in the protected area. Accidental moving of Cubes into this area is expected. Minor violations of this rule that do not affect the match will result in a warning. Egregious (match affecting) offenses will result in a Disqualification. Teams that receive multiple warnings
may also receive a Disqualification at the head referee’s discretion.

^^From the game manual: “Accidental moving of Cubes into this area is expected.” That should be okay to do that. One thing my team does is have the VEX manual and Google ready to look up rules if the judges call us on something that is incorrect. It’s saved us several matches and also doesn’t alienate the judges.

On a side note, how do I quote the manual? I can’t find any button do so :frowning:

In your reply, click on the button that looks like a speech bubble, which inserts quote tags. Paste the part from the game manual in between, and it makes it a quote. If you want to do the thing where it came from, just add in the following (with the brackets, I just took them out so it doesn’t format to a quote)

QUOTE=Example

Karthik also clarified this in the following official rules thread, you might want to check it out.

https://vexforum.com/t/answered-sg13-moving-opponents-cubes-into-your-starting-area/27399/1

My understanding is that teams have to be careful where they push opponent’s cubes during the match.

Thats ok! everyone does it (including me) :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, as a sponsor of this team (a small one), knock it off*.

*which is British slang for stop doing it

You are the second biggest sponsor we have.

Where should we put a giant picture of your face on the robot?

BTW thank you BNS for giving me an idea on the intake, it works amazingly.

Here is TeamRocketRobotics yet again posting on the forums in a negative way and not contributing to the conversation in any useful way. Could you please at least try to contribute to these forums? If your only reason for being on the forums is to post comments like your past three comments on various thread, then I ask…why are you here?

More to the point. They are not “complaining” about it. The OP is asking if anyone else had experienced this and whether or not this was the right call or not.

between the two Alliance Starting Tiles and located in the corner of the field, or on Robots
or Scoring Objects touching said tiles. The intent of this rule is to prevent intentional strategies to
permanently isolate the opponent’s Cubes in the protected area. Accidental moving of Cubes into this
area is expected. **Minor violations of this rule that do not affect the match will result in a warning.
Egregious (match affecting) offenses will result in a Disqualification. **Teams that receive multiple warnings
may also receive a Disqualification at the head referee’s discretion.

So to that end, I posted SG13 which applies to this question. I highlighted the pertinent sections. So, it appears if it was not match affecting then only a warning was in order. If it was match affecting then a disqualification is in order. This is a judgement call that the refs have to make. In your case it sounds like it would only merit a warning, but again, that’s a judgement call the ref gets to make.

Thank you 4149G

The local colorado head judge said that if it was not an egregious offense (there were plenty of other cubes on the fields) it is fine if you did it accidentally.

In my first competition this year, our opponents at the end of the match pushed around four cubes onto their side that was the opposing color. They thought they could get SP for doing so, and the ref said that that those don’t count and pulled them off the tiles so that they weren’t counted. They were just warned, since it wasn’t match affecting.