Alternatives to WD-40?

Having used WD-40 for so many years, both in VEX and in real life, I was wondering if there was a better alternative to WD-40

I hope I’m not wrong about this, but I think lithium grease is compatible with most Vex components. Just use a tiny amount.

Most teams use white lithium grease, and I’ve used light machine oil on the slides and it worked well.

Powdered graphite works good too.

My team has used both lithium grease and powdered graphite, and they have works well for us.

Just as a reminder, WD-40 would not be legal for use in the VEX Robotics Competition (at least for Nothing But Net and past games), as it is aerosol-based. Rule <R7.e> states:

As such, only non-aerosol based grease or lubricating compounds are legal to use. But, of course, if you are not competing in the VEX Robotics Competition, you do not have to abide by that rule.

Holy crap… I didn’t actually know that… (Having used this even for World VEX)

But thanks for telling me. I’ll take note of this rule when doing VEX Competitions from now on

Just wondering, what type of grease did your team use for your robot in worlds?

IIRC karthik actually suggested using non-aerosol WD-40, it exists https://www.google.com/search?q=non%20aerosol%20wd%2040&tbm=shop

I spent some time as a chemical engineer in a Texaco oil and grease laboratory. We formulated and tested lubes and greases. Here is a clip from the web that summarizes the situation well.
“Grease is a semisolid lubricant. It generally consists of a soap emulsified with mineral or vegetable oil. The characteristic feature of greases is that they possess a high initial viscosity, which upon the application of shear, drops to give the effect of an oil-lubricated bearing of approximately the same viscosity as the base oil used in the grease. This change in viscosity is called thixotropy…Greases are applied to mechanisms that can only be lubricated infrequently and where a lubricating oil would not stay in position… Grease-lubricated bearings have greater frictional characteristics due to their high viscosity.”

So I would think for an application that can be lubricated frequently and is light duty, a low viscosity lube oil would consume less energy than a grease holding the same lube oil.