Anodizing Service

Hey Ya’ll
For those of you who do not know, anodizing is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metals. Aluminum naturally forms a thin, non uniform, and unattractive layer of aluminum oxide that results in the dull finish found on the majority of vex parts. Anodizing thickens this layer to a porous and extremely hard layer of oxide that is later dyed (if desired) and sealed. Some examples of the anodizing process are every mac computer (non dyed) and most every Maglite (dyed). Anyone who has handled these produces can tell you about their durability and toughness.
Now imagine a line of robots. Basically they are all the same or there are only two or three different designs. But then there is your robot, completely anodized black with red vex gears, or bright pink with neon green streaks. It just wouldn’t be hard to make a statement.
All of this to say that $50 a robot, $25 a component (drivetrain, intake, lift…), or $5 a part, I will do a non dyed anodizing job and for an extra $10 ($3 for a single part) it can be dyed. If you can get the robot here then I will get it back to you (up to $10).
This process is legal and it does make the surface of the aluminum harder (aluminum oxide is common in sand paper; it rivals the hardness of diamonds). However it can only be administered to aluminum and the part cannot be fabricated (bent, cut) after they are anodized. This is due to the fact that though anodizing is hard it is also brittle so sharp bends bending and cutting will result in flakes. This will not happen during a normal use. I there is a problem with the product then, at my choice, I will take it back and strip it and return it to you.
If you are interested in making a statement like none other then please post. If you have any questions simply ask them and I will answer to the best of my abilities.
Thank You
hallboyone

wow nice, can you quote from the rule book that such a mod would be legal?
and how would this work logistically?
we ship you our built drive train (without motors)
and you just dip the entire thing in?
or we ship you pieced of metal we wish to build our drive train with?

do you have any pictures of samples of work that you have previously done?

seems like a really neat way to mod the appearance of your robot :slight_smile:

Interesting, very competitive rates compared to what my company pays to have the parts we produce anodized. It would seem that only individual aluminum parts could be treated this way and not an entire robot subassembly containing perhaps motors, delrin bearing flats, stainless steel screws etc.

Can you tell us where you are located and perhaps post a link to a web site if this is something you do as part of a business. Are you associated with an existing VEX team and how could we be sure we would be sending to a legitimate vendor?

We are talking about annodizing this year. Black or Red.

Also I think its legal to a certain acceptable point. I don’t remember exactly the limitations, I know it used to be illegal in the past and now is legal to be used, but some of us have access to some insane annodizing shops that can super hard annodize with a thickness of like .004 vs. the regular .002 for Hard Anno. So I would look around again for the answer or ask the question about annodizing again before someone goes through with this.

• Andrew

Here is the rule.
<R7> Robots are allowed the following additional “non-VEX” components:
d. Teams may add non-functional decorations provided that these do not affect the robot
performance in any significant way or affect the outcome of the match. These decorations must
be in the spirit of the competition. Inspectors will have final say in what is considered
“nonfunctional”.
i. Anodizing and painting of parts would be considered a legal nonfunctional decoration
I’ll try to post pictures soon. Sorry, I meant to mention that I am part of team 4000, the Omni eagles. We have got a Facebook page (the team that is) and will be anodizing our robot this year. I figured that if we get the setup might as well open it up for others. We qualified for world so I am trying to raise some money. For those of you who do not know it costs $750 per team and we currently have two teams going. You do the math. I figured that if we get the setup might as well open it up for others. By the way, I am located in north east Texas.

Sorry that I missed the other question. The robot would be shipped to me in peices. I will try to keep any organisation worked out. The reasion that I can’t just did the whole robot is 1. the steel screws would dissentergrate and 2. the parts would fuse and any dissassimbaly would result in flaking.

Ok, so is your plan to buy one of the small scale anodizing kits?

Are you able to handle the large parts? ie. 17.5 inch C channel?

You said the cost is $60 (50 + 10) for a full robot with dye. Is there a maximum number of parts that you consider a full robot?

That’s the plan. Max pieces for a full robot is 75. Sorry I didn’t mention that in the first post. Max parts for a componant is 25 and for individual parts the limit is whatever you want. These prices are for subject to change depending on the complexity of the job. They are just there so you can get an idea of how much it will cost and if it is an option for your team. I can tell you that the price will not be more then that.

These are just a few parts that I did. I will get a picture of the robot up soon.

http://s1325.beta.photobucket.com/user/hallboyone/media/anodizing/DSC04007_zps0d2f4ca6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Dang it. They didn’t work. Oh well, here is the link.
%between%

http://s1325.beta.photobucket.com/user/hallboyone/library/anodizing

Let’s try that again… :slight_smile:

To use the URL tags, place them like this:
[HTML]this will be underlined.[/HTML]

For those of you wondering, here’s the real link.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u624/hallboyone/anodizing/DSC04008_zpsfca64aee.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u624/hallboyone/anodizing/DSC04007_zps0d2f4ca6.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u624/hallboyone/anodizing/DSC04009_zpsd80a6448.jpghttp://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u624/hallboyone/anodizing/DSC04010_zps734527e7.jpg

Man you were fast!