Answered: 269 Motor Not Turning Manually

So I ordered a few parts last Sunday and this included two 269 2-wire motors. Without plugging either into the Cortex or anything, one of them turns fine manually in both directions, whereas the other doesn’t.

One direction turns fine, with no resistance. (Clockwise, with the motor shaft facing you)
The other direction is noticably harder to turn. It’s stiffer, and when it starts at rest, and I try to rotate it counterclockwise, it catches and won’t turn manually (untested electrically). If I turn a tiny bit clockwise and then turn counterclockwise again, it [sometimes] allows me to, but will catch again once it rests.

I have opened both sides of the motor to inspect it and see if any loose metal was catching in the gears, but I have found nothing and the motor [almost always] still catches.

Why is this motor behaving like this while the other one is not?

Just tested electrically with the 9-volt, and both motors perform the exact same (both positive and negative orientation). The second one is still stiff and catching, whereas the first is still not doing such. This puzzles me even more.

StephenDsDude,

Most of our motors are backdrivable, but there are some that do not have that ability (they lock). Personally I have seen both kinds of motors and the backdrive issue does not affect the performance of the motor while being energized by our Microcontrollers; however, if you feel like this issue limits the performance of your robot, feel free to contact us at support@vexrobotics.com for further troubleshooting.

Also for more details, please read over post#14: https://vexforum.com/t/motor-controller-29-necessary/19838/1&page=2

-Eli

Eli,

Thank you for the response. I did look online before I made this post to see if it was a common problem, but I was unable to locate any information pertaining to such. The few 269s I’ve dealt with have not had the problem, and asking a few people in the other teams in my school’s robotics club led to no results. Thank you for the information regarding this, and I will keep this in mind when working with 269s.

-Stephen