Answered: 3D Printed Decorations

Hi Karthik,

Rule R7-D states:

"Teams may add non-functional decorations provided that these do not affect the robot performance in any significant way or affect the outcome of the match. These decorations must be in the spirit of the competition. Inspectors will have final say in what is considered “non-functional”

My questions is, could my team (high school) 3D print a simple logo which would then be attached to the robot. The logo would have to “be backed by legal materials that provide the same functionality” as per R7-D-ii. I have seen many teams in the past use large pieces of plexi glass, cardboard, color prints, etc to decorate their robot.

I don’t see why this wouldn’t be legal, but it seems 3d printed parts undergo extra scrutiny in the VEX world for fear that allowing them would provide advantages to certain teams. Clearly, a team logo would not provide any advantage though…right?

I am desperately looking for a way to integrate my classroom 3d printer into our robot in a legal way…it is such an awesome learning opportunity for the students!

Thank you for your time!

This would be legal for any non functional decoration.

We’ve received comments like this from many teachers. As 3D printers become more common, the VRC GDC will investigate ways to integrate them into our program in a fair and equitable way. We can’t make any promises for the future, aside from saying that we will definitely keep an open mind and do our research.

Awesome, thanks so much Karthik! 3D printed decorations at least lets us incorporate it in a small way!

You’re welcome!

1 Like