Answered: Alliance seeding and <G5>

I have a question about alliance seeding during the elimination rounds as it pertains to <G5>. At a competition this past weekend the alliance seeded #4 from the qualifying rounds advanced through the top half of the bracket and the alliance seeded #2 from qualifying advanced through the bottom half of the bracket. The elimination bracket displayed showed the #4 seeded alliance as red and had a number 4 next to the team numbers while the #2 seeded alliance was shown as blue with a 2 next to their team numbers.

My understanding of the rules in this situation is the the #2 seed from qualifying is the higher seeded alliance and can choose to place their robots last. The referees said that the #4 alliance from qualifying was the higher seeded alliance because they had defeated the #1 alliance and that Tournament Manager would always list the higher seeded alliance as red. If what the referees said were true then <G5> could simply state that the red alliance always has the right to place their robots last.

Here is <G5> for reference:

[INDENT]<G5> During the qualification rounds, the red Alliance has the right to place their Robots on the field last.
During the elimination rounds, the higher seeded Alliance has the right to place their Robots on the field
last. Once a team has placed their Robot on the field, its position cannot be readjusted prior to the match.
Robots must be placed on the field promptly. Teams who violate this rule will have their robots randomly
repositioned by the referees.
[/INDENT]

So, my question is can red always choose to place last or is it the higher seeded team as shown by the seeding number in the elimination bracket that can choose to place last?

Thanks,
Jay

Your understanding is correct.

Their understanding was incorrect. The higher seeded alliance, is the alliance with the better rank. i.e. The lower “numbered” alliance. This alliance could be red or blue, depending on how the matches play out. The alliance colour follows the bracket, not the seeding of the alliances.

<G5> as written is correct. During the qualifying rounds the Red Alliance has the right to place their robot last. During the Elimination Rounds the higher seeded Alliance has the right to place their robot last.